Ducks vs Lettuce

I enjoyed the video! My ducks also rush me when they see I have a bag of romaine lettuce. Have you ever fed yours watermelon? It is hilarious watching them devour it while spraying the juice water everywhere. I try to get them a large one when they are on sale at the supermarket. Gotta love ducks :)

I enjoyed the video!  My ducks also rush me when they see I have a bag of romaine lettuce.  Have you ever fed yours watermelon?  It is hilarious watching them devour it while spraying the juice water everywhere.  I try to get them a large one when they are on sale at the supermarket.  Gotta love ducks :)

Glad you like the video. I have never fed my ducks watermelon, I'll have to try it this summer. I assume the seeds are ok for them as watermelon seeds are safe for human consumption.

My ducks are chasing my kids down right now for the watermelon in their hands. As the kids were climbing onto the picnic bench each duck managed to nab a bite when their hands got low enough.

Last edited:
My ducks are chasing my kids down right now for the watermelon in their hands. As the kids were climbing onto the picnic bench each duck managed to nab a bite when their hands got low enough.
LOL and you actually still can get water melon? mine love them but all I ever buy are seedless that is all our gro store carries. This past year they must have had a good year growing them because they had them on sale alot.

LOL!
We can't get watermelon this time of year (at least not cheap). All you could do with them outside is prop a barn door open until spring.

Did a duck sneak in to grab lettuce from underneath you between your knees at the 8 second mark?! That's hilarious!

I want to do this with my ducks.

Did a duck sneak in to grab lettuce from underneath you between your knees at the 8 second mark?! That's hilarious!

I want to do this with my ducks.

Very good observation
big_smile.png
. Actually that happened twice in the video with two different ducks. At around 2 seconds, Greta (my Black Swedish) snags a bite (most of the rest of the video she is at 2 o' clock) And the one you noted was Pocahontas (my Cayuga who is hanging around at about 9 o' clock earlier in the video). My ducks are ABSOLUTELY not afraid of me. They will try to avoid being picked up, but they have no problems with me moving them around with my feet or them moving my feet around. I have to be VERY careful not to step on them when I move around in the back yard. In fact just recently I figured out if I wanted to walk while being mobbed, I could bend down and pet the ducks in front of me (which they would avoid and give me a place for my foot to go.) About 1/3 of the ducks have figured out that if they go under my chair
hide.gif
and snipe the lettuce (or any other treats) from between my legs, they have fewer other ducks to compete with. Rhiannon (My WH) started this trend (she usually parks under my chair when I am there whether I have treats or not), and now there are 4/5 who do this (no more than 2 at a time).

Costco has heads of romaine in a six pack pretty cheap. We buy 3-4 of these once/week so that gives us 2-4 heads/day to feed to the ducks (OK, every once in a while I eat one
tongue2.gif
). So there are two things we are NEVER out of... Lettuce and Eggs.

I missed the grab between the knees at 2 seconds! I had to go back and watch it again.

Mine go crazy when they see us walk out of the house with lettuce in hand. They all quack as loud as they can and shuffle around by one of the gates trying to be the first one to the lettuce when we get into their pen. Sometimes I like to fool them and go in the other gate just to watch them all sprint across the pen when they realize I'm headed to the back gate. LOL! Nothing is funnier than running ducks!

Back
Top Bottom