Ducks with koi

chickduck

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
Hey everyone!

Okay, so my husband is fixing up thus huge pond we have had in the front of our house. It'll be a natural fed pond with strong filters all around, and we plan to keep koi in there. We don't know how many yet, but we would also like to keep 2 ducks in there as well.

We had 2 Pekins who we fell in love with but sadly passed away two years ago and would love to own some again.

My question is will the koi / ducks be okay co existing together? The pond is approx. 20,000 gallons

How big are your koi? If they are very small the ducks may try to eat them. We have a koi pond with big fish and the ducks have never bothered them. The fish are curious but don't bother the ducks. The most exciting thing we saw happen was a wild duck had her babies at the pond. These little tiny duckling were swimming amongst the huge koi but momma duck would peck at any fish that got too close. Like I said koi are curious, so they did investigate, but no one ever did anything untoward.
smile.png

@Lilki
Hahah that sounds adorable!! We haven't quite looked into the koi fish yet either tbh.. Any suggestions on what breed/ type would be best fo beginners is greatly appreciated as well!

That's good to hear they can co exist, I had heard the duck poop was poisonous for the water and killed the koi and such

Back
Top Bottom