Ducks won’t get out of pool

Meltongirl84

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
I have finally got enough money to get my ducks a good size pool that is plenty enough room for all 4 to splash around and swim in. Now they are not getting out! Even at night. I know ducks love to swim but what concerns me is 1. They are not getting out to eat 2. Two of the ducks their feathers are staying looking wet while the other two the water beads off of them. What should I do? Should I take the pool away? Is there any cause for my worrisome? Thanks in advance

Ya they can be stubborn,just take there pool away for now all they need is a container deep enough for them to submerge there heads to wash.they will make do LOL they did this until there new pool arrived
4B8D7B32-64A2-464F-9BC8-8A9F491EFDD1.jpeg

Has this been going on long?
If it's only a day or two, they may settle down as they get used to having water available.

1. They are not getting out to eat

Can you check their crops?
If they have full crops, they are probably just eating when you don't notice.
Birds can eat very quickly when they want to, so they could be gobbling food and going back to play in the water.

Should I take the pool away?

Depending on how easy it is to move, maybe take it away a few hours before bedtime each day--that way they would be able to eat, dry off, and go to bed without the exciting water to distract them. (Of course, if it's not easy to move, that will not work.)

Sounds like wet feather to me, the one who's feathers are wet. That isn't caused by the pool though. Secondly, surely there are getting out to eat, they are smarter then that and won't starve themselves. I always have to chase my ducks out of the pool, wild ducks sleep in the water too so its nothing to be concerned about. I

If youre worried they aren't eating, grab them, and weight them on a food scale, or weight you self, step off, grab the duck, and see who much more you weigh. That is the duck's weight. Look up the breed and see how much they are supposed to weigh. @Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @KaleIAm can hopefully offer more insight then me on the wet duck, and if it is wet feather they can help with treatment. Hope this helps! :) Avery

Thanks for the tag, @Weeg

Are you sure your ducks can get out of their pool easily? Mine struggle to get out of kid and other pools without rocks for step stools or other assistance. I also agree with @NatJ that they may be eating quickly when you don't notice. If neither of those things are true and these were my ducks, I would cover up or remove their pool until after they had eaten breakfast. I would also cover up or remove their pool an hour before bed so they would have ample opportunity to eat and preen.

I have a duck who stays wet, it is a problem when it gets cold. Look into wet feather and consider posting a photo of your ducks who stay wet. Bathing and preening will likely help their feather quality, but you don't want them to be wet when it is cold out.

Back
Top Bottom