1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks won't get in the pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Trav5787, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Trav5787

Trav5787 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    I have started trying to free range my 4 juvenile ducks (3 months old) and they won't go near the pond. I have herded them to the edge of it a half dozen times and they just huddle up to me at the edge and eventually make a beeline back up to the yard.

I have moved their pen closer to the pond trying to get them used to it. What else do I need to do?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could there be a snapper in there?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks have a certain amount of sense, and something is not right with the pond in their opinion. I would respect it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    May not be anything at all wrong with your pond; it may simply be that they are not confident enough around it yet. If they have only recently been free ranging, they will still be getting their barings and building their confidence in the wonderland you have now provided for them.

Be patient, they will go into the pond when they are ready and you won't be able to hurry it.

5. Trav5787

Mar 23, 2012
    There are some turtles but I have never seen a large snapper. I try to keep the number of turtles in the pond to a minimum. I guess they just aren't ready yet.

6. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I agree with the confidence thing. My ducks are just a month old. They sat feet from the pond for a week before attempting to dip their beaks. They have just started to swim but will only stay on the edge in a giant group. Moving their food or a water bucket close to the edge might be helpful. Once they start to spend more time down there they will get it.

I left a rake by the entrance to their enclosure. I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go inside. Once I moved the rake, no problem. They seem to be creatures of habit and weary of anything new.

7. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I had to move my enclosure right down at the water's edge so that part of the pen actually went out into the lake.
    (a suggestion from someone on here)

Two weeks of being down on the water, and they were good to go!
    They are now free range all day on the lake and love it!

8. Trav5787

Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to continue to work their pen closer to the water. Unfortunately, the slope of the bank won't allow me to put the edge of the pen into the water.

9. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

How gradual is the path into the pond? If it's too steep maybe it scares them? My 'ramp' is so gradual you barely feel like you are going downhill. Is it a biiiif pond or a small one? Are there other ducks already hanging out in it? Are they a part of the main flock or have they been segregated up until this point? Does the rest of the flock hop right in and they stop short? Just thinking aloud...

10. Trav5787

Mar 23, 2012
    The pond is about an acre. These are the first set of ducks on the pond. I have twelve more ducklings in the brooder box.

The area where we access the pond isn't real steep but that area isn't real wide either. The rest of the pond bank on the side closest to the house is not so steep you can't walk down it, but you do have to be careful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by