Ducks wont use house

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I have a Pekin male and two Rouen females. I kept them in a 10 x 10 dog kennel with a dog house in it for shelter. Never used it. Even tried putting thier food in it. Nope.
Moved them into a fenced area with more room, grass, nice big kiddie pool to swim in with a nice duck house for shelter. Wont even go near it.
Tried putting them in there physically every night hoping they get the hint. Nope.
They insist on sleeping in a corner by the chicken fence.
Any ideas?
Oh, yeah, they run from me even if Im 50ft away.

I have 2 female pekins and I switched them from a large dog kennel to a new coop this past spring. They weren't really sure what to do with it. I put some worms just inside the door to get them to go in and explore and eventually they did. I didn't force them and it took my smaller one a bit more time to go inside on her own. Now they put themselves to sleep at a certain time of night and definitely use it to hide from predators. The coop I bought has an upstairs area and a nesting box. To get them to sleep upstairs, which they do now, I just put them up there and gave them a few spaghetti noodles. They figured out how to go down the ramp and in and out in no time. The coop has thick chicken wire mesh on 2 sides and is wood on the other 2 sides so there is some openness to it.

My Ducks sleep outside..They only use the Dog house if nesting or to lay eggs. I have a covered 10X10 dog run that is covered also with a tarp. I sheet off two walls to block out wind. Ducks actually prefer not to be housed.

Ducks will herd also if you walk behind them and walk slowly using your arms to guide them. Unless your run is Fort Knox built you run the risk of losing them eventually. If your house is well ventilated they will get use to their house and you can sleep better knowing they are safe.

Back
Top Bottom