Duckwing Leghorns

PL-4-300x225.jpg

Another pic of a "Partridge Hybrid"

Last edited:
UK Standards for Golden Duckwing

GOLDEN DUCKWING

Male Plumage: Neck hackle: light yellow or straw, a few shades deeper at the front below the wattles, the longer feathers striped with black. Back: deep rich gold. Saddle and saddle hackle: deep gold shading in hackle to pale gold. Shoulder coverts and wing bows: bright gold or orange, solid in colour (an admixture of light feathers is objectionable). Wing bar: metallic blue (blue-violet), sharp, cleanly cut and not too broad. Primaries: black with white edging to outer web. Secondaries: white outer web (forming a white wing bay when the wing is closed), black inner web and end of feather. Breast: black with green lustre. Tail: black, rich glossed with green, grey fluff at the base.

Female Plumage: Head: grey (a brown cap is objectionable). Hackle: white, each feather striped with black or dark grey (a light tinge of yellow in the ground colour is permissible). Breast and under colour: bright salmon-red (this point important), darker on the throat and shading off to ash-grey or fawn on the underparts. Back, wings, sides, and saddle: dark grey, finely pencilled with darker grey or black. Tail: grey, slightly darker than the body colour, inside feathers dull black or dark grey.

Uk Standards for Silver Duckwing
SILVER DUCKWING

Male Plumage: Neck hackles, back and saddle hackles: silver-white, the longer feathers of the neck striped with black. Shoulder coverts and wing bow: silver-white (any admixture of red or rusty feathers objectionable). Wing bars, primaries, secondaries, breast, and tail: as for the Golden Duckwing.

Female Plumage: Head silver-white. Hackle: silver-white striped with black or dark grey. Breast and underparts: light salmon or fawn, darker on throat and shaded off to ash-grey on underparts. Back, wings, sides and saddle: clear delicate silver-grey or French-grey, without any shade of red or brown, finely pencilled with dark grey or black (purity of colour very important). Tail: grey, slightly darker than the body colour, with the inside feathers dull black or dark grey.

I knew I'd find it....
I stand corrected..
it was from an Austrailian site,displaying a British author's book...

link...
https://leghornclubaustralia.webs.com/somethingofinterest.htm

DUCKWING LEGHORNS:

Duckwing Leghorns were also produced by Mr. G. Payne. It is true that a cockerel of this 53 colour was shown at the Palace in 1886 by Mr. Terrot; but this bird was acknowledged to be an almost solitary cull from a cross between Silver Grey Dorking and Duckwing Game, and no other results from that Leghorn experiment were ever seen; whereas Mr. Payne's birds brought out the following season, quite differently bred, were but the forerunners of a number more, which took hold as a popular variety. They were stated to have been first originated from some of the wasters bred in producing Piles from Whites and Brown Leghorns, which had come with salmon breasts, and a brownish blue all over the body, with brassy hackles and ashy grey under-parts.

After exhibiting the birds thus bred for a season or two, Mr. Payne visited Antwerp in January 1889 with a collection of his birds (his Duckwings taking first and medal there), and obtained at the Zoological Gardens a cock for crossing of the long-tailed Japanese Phoenix or Yokohama breed, of silver-grey colour. This cross effected very great improvement in colour, but its effects were seen for several seasons in sickles which swept the ground, and which were only gradually bred out again. From the prodgeny of this cross was selected the bird which won at the Dairy Show that same year, and was purchased by the late Mr. Hinson, to whom and to Mr. Gerahty the further breeding of this beautiful variety is mainly due. The colour of Duckwing Leghorns is in all but one point practically the same as in the corresponding varieties of Duckwing Game.

That point is the striping of the hackle: as the Brown Leghorn is a striped breed, so the Duckwinged varieties have the longer feathers of the hackle somewhat striped also. Mr. Payne had made no attempt to breed Golden and Silver strains, but as the variety was bred more generally this became inevitable. A good gold coloured cockerel almost always bred pullets red or rusty on the wings; hence pullets had to be bred from lighter or more silvery cocks. And conversely, good-coloured Gold cocks could only be produced from more or less rusty females.

Both classes are now recognized by the Standard, and are necessary for breeding, but at the majority of shows, where there is one “Duckwing" class only, the winners are usually Golden-Duckwing cocks, with almost silvery hens, so Mr. Hinson wrote us, are usually bred from one pen, the same mating producing both sexes good if the Brewing strain is well bred, and the colour markings sound on both sides. Where this is not so, somewhat inferior colour in either, or in both, often breeds very fair pullets, though failing in cockerels.

Pure silvery white in the hackles of both sexes is the great criterion. The best mating of all is that of a silvery-hackled cock with a rather dark grey but absolutely pure-coloured hen.

To breed Golden Duckwings, two pens are practically requisite, though not so much so as before the rich golden wing-bows now sought in the cock, had replaced the deep maroon or crimson once fashionable. For cockerel breeding it is best to select a typical Golden exhibition bird, sound in all his colours, and put to him hens with rich salmon breasts, and which may with no detriment have a little warmth or rust on the wing. For breeding pullets, the cock should be bred from Golden pullets, very sound in his black all over, but rather light on shoulder, and is none the worse if rather broken in colour there : if his hackle also tends to being silvery it is all the better. His mates should be pure in colour, as near as possible to ideal exhibition hens. If at any time too much colour comes in the hackles of either sex, or the bodies of the hens, a cross of Silver Duckwing blood is desirable.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-moonshiners-leghorns.1257688/
Here's a link to some of the leghorn colors/patterns I'm working with.
Trying to get more varieties then what's been available in the states. I've seen a lot of what's available oversees and am envious. Lots of cool leghorns over there.

You've posted info overload so will take a while for me to catch up. I did peek at most of the pics and think I've seen them all but known there's some info there I've either not seen or maybe just forgotten.
Those are the goldens I'm also interested in but haven't been able to nail down the exact genetics behind them. Its obvious that they aren't all genetically the same. I'm most interested in those brightly colored roosters but just don't know what is used to get that bright yellows.

Anytime you breed a partridge to silver it lightens the deep gold. Do that enough and you'll end with a "golden" that breeds true. It's not done here in the states as light gold is not accepted for partridge color. Varieties are crossed to enhance some lacking attribute of body then put back to a dark gold bird to bring back into the fold of true color.

So the yellow (S/G) in first cross can be gotten down the line visually with (G/G) if you keep going back to Silver and then the S/G cockerel. I imagine you'd have to perform test matings in the end to find which cockerels were G/G and S/G as they'd look nearly identical. But it can be done and you'd have golden G/G Cocks to breed true with the golden pullets.

Last edited:
I feel there is tons of room for discussion on this topic and type of breeding;and something that can and should be happening here in the States.

Making golden that breed true can happen, it's up to the individual and their preference. As for it ever being admitted into the standard is up for debate. I doubt it ever will as it's simply partridge with incorrect color.

Back
Top Bottom