Duckwing Photography: Lacy Duckwing's Photography Thread

I allowed my Orchid some sun for a few minutes while I was taking pictures of it. Here are my favorites:

IMG_0492.JPG

On this one, I thought the anther cap looked like a bird skull:
IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

On these two below, they're basically the same picture, but at a slightly different angle. I couldn't decide which one I liked the best, so I'm sharing both.
IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

This last one I went behind my succulents for the distracted front:
IMG_0480.JPG

As some may know, here in Maine, we had the solar eclipse's totality. I brought my telescoping lens to where we watched it, and there, my wonderful niece saved the day by pointing the way to a filter to protect my lens. (I did not have the appropriate filter before heading there, though I had brought my equipment anyway.) This is the first (and hopefully not last) solar eclipse I have photographed, so most of it was pretty new to me.

Because I took a lot of pictures, I'll be doing three different posts of the photos, so that nobody is overwhelmed by a long post. I will start here with pictures leading up to the totality.

The beginning of the eclipse:
IMG_2445.JPG

Just before the moon covered the sunspot (not a dustspot!) that I was captured in a few of my pictures:
IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

The moment before totality:
IMG_2548.JPG

And here is the best saved for last. I will start with my other camera first because I started photographing it with that camera before I realized it was safe to remove the filter from my other camera.

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

The last of these pictures were taken with my telescoping lens after I removed the filter.

This is probably my favorite picture that I captured:
IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

If you zoom in on the right bottom of the moon, you can see this red (fire) from the sun:
IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

And that is all the ones I'm looking to share. (I have lots more, but these were my favorites.) I did get to view some of this amazing event away from the camera (a lot of it was through the special glasses) and my favorite part of the whole eclipse wasn't photographed. It was the very moment the totality had begun, when the sun's light shone completely around the moon and the day went dark. A flock of crows took off in flight, which definitely added to the awesomeness (and strangeness) of this moment.

I hope you all enjoyed seeing these pictures. I enjoyed taking them and am still in awe of everything. This eclipse is definitely one of the most amazing moments in my life, and I wish I could go back in time to re-live it over and over. I highly appreciate those who gave me advice, encouraged me, and invited me to their home so we could view this eclipse.

~Lacy Duckwing
Duckwing Photography

As some may know, here in Maine, we had the solar eclipse's totality. I brought my telescoping lens to where we watched it, and there, my wonderful niece saved the day by pointing the way to a filter to protect my lens. (I did not have the appropriate filter before heading there, though I had brought my equipment anyway.) This is the first (and hopefully not last) solar eclipse I have photographed, so most of it was pretty new to me.

Because I took a lot of pictures, I'll be doing three different posts of the photos, so that nobody is overwhelmed by a long post. I will start here with pictures leading up to the totality.

The beginning of the eclipse:
View attachment 3796778
Just before the moon covered the sunspot (not a dustspot!) that I was captured in a few of my pictures:
View attachment 3796779

View attachment 3796780

View attachment 3796781

View attachment 3796782
The moment before totality:
View attachment 3796783

And here is the best saved for last. I will start with my other camera first because I started photographing it with that camera before I realized it was safe to remove the filter from my other camera.

View attachment 3796794

View attachment 3796795

View attachment 3796796

The last of these pictures were taken with my telescoping lens after I removed the filter.

View attachment 3796797

View attachment 3796799
If you zoom in on the right bottom of the moon, you can see this red (fire) from the sun:
View attachment 3796800

View attachment 3796802

And that is all the ones I'm looking to share. (I have lots more, but these were my favorites.) I did get to view some of this amazing event away from the camera (a lot of it was through the special glasses) and my favorite part of the whole eclipse wasn't photographed. It was the very moment the totality had begun, when the sun's light shone completely around the moon and the day went dark. A flock of crows took off in flight, which definitely added to the awesomeness (and strangeness) of this moment.

I hope you all enjoyed seeing these pictures. I enjoyed taking them and am still in awe of everything. This eclipse is definitely one of the most amazing moments in my life, and I wish I could go back in time to re-live it over and over. I highly appreciate those who gave me advice, encouraged me, and invited me to their home so we could view this eclipse.

~Lacy Duckwing
Duckwing Photography
Wow!!! That purple ring is so interesting!
That must have been so cool! Did it get all dark at mid day?

View attachment 3796794

View attachment 3796795

View attachment 3796796

View attachment 3796797

View attachment 3796799
View attachment 3796800

View attachment 3796802

~Lacy Duckwing
Duckwing Photography
Congratulations Lacy!!! You captured the entirety of the eclipse! That is not an easy task.

This was my first total eclipse to view also. I saw a partial in 2017 and an annular in 2023. Viewing totality is simply indescribable. Trying to put it into words seems like doing it an injustice. The best way I saw it described is this... on a scale of 1-10, a partial eclipse is a 3, an annular eclipse is a 7, and viewing totality is 10,000. Now, I agree....

I'm glad you looked up and viewed it some too. When I was preparing to photograph this one, that was the most highly recommended piece of advice. Stop taking photos, and set aside a minute to just soak it in.

Wasn't it amazing how quickly it got dark? It was slowly dimming during the 15 minutes leading up but it only took a few seconds for it to go from a little dim to dark. All the street lights turned on and hundreds of crickets immediately started chirping. I bet seeing those crows take off was cool too.

This really is something everyone should experience at least once in their lives. Too bad the next one in the US is in 2044. You can see one in Spain in 2026 and Sydney, Australia in 2028.

Again, congratulations!!

I did a couple of different photo shoots this week and I will share some of the best pictures in two separate posts. First up is my dog Sterling. He HATES photos being taken of him, but I managed to get a few good ones with the help of his favorite treats.

IMG_0003.JPG

I had a blue filter over my new lighting which casted this cool hue on him:
IMG_0683.JPG

He almost looks guilty here:
IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

I love this above shot:
IMG_0717.JPG

And this side-view shot:
IMG_0713.JPG

Back
Top Bottom