Ducky advice

Brettmathis

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
So my husband on Tuesday reduced a duckling out of a window well in a house he was working on. I know ducks are social birds and so I felt bad and started hunting down another duckling so it had a friend. It's a mallard duckling possibly 3 wks old well we found some Muscovy ducklings 9 days old could I put them together without any major problems?

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_211126270.jpg
    IMG_20200706_211126270.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 15944398299656743970730982633800.jpg
    15944398299656743970730982633800.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello, and Welcome to BackYard Chickens! :frow So glad you decided to join! :yesss: Make yourself at home here.

Your main concern is if they are going to fight to not, correct? No one can give you a straight answer because there are so many factors that are going to come into play if they are going to or not. You could try putting them together, but just note fighting will likely occur if they're cram-packed in a rubber tore, compared to them all being in a spacious area. Overall, f you want to reduce the possibility of fighting, give them more space then they need, provide multiple feeder/waterers, and fill their brooder with things for them to do (Water dish, treats balls) anything to keep them occupied will help.

Hello, and Welcome to BackYard Chickens! :frow So glad you decided to join! :yesss: Make yourself at home here.

Your main concern is if they are going to fight to not, correct? No one can give you a straight answer because there are so many factors that are going to come into play if they are going to or not. You could try putting them together, but just note fighting will likely occur if they're cram-packed in a rubber tore, compared to them all being in a spacious area. Overall, f you want to reduce the possibility of fighting, give them more space then they need, provide multiple feeder/waterers, and fill their brooder with things for them to do (Water dish, treats balls) anything to keep them occupied will help.

I have them in a tote at night in my house to keep them safe and warm. Then during the day I have a chicken wire ring and a large wood square I put them in. I tried to introduce the babies to the bigger duckling and it didn't go so well. Fighting and one of the babies got a scratch on its beak so now they are separated in different pens. Worth a try.

I have them in a tote at night in my house to keep them safe and warm. Then during the day I have a chicken wire ring and a large wood square I put them in. I tried to introduce the babies to the bigger duckling and it didn't go so well. Fighting and one of the babies got a scratch on its beak so now they are separated in different pens. Worth a try.
Separate totes at night

Back
Top Bottom