Ducky DO'S & DON'TS

Pics
Pekins? I would definitely get some brewers yeast/nutritional yeast or Niacin on hand *just in case*... they sometimes need higher Niacin amounts than other breeds due to how fast and big they grow...
My hubby's buddies own a local brewery. It should be easy for us to score some brewer's yeast. They are growing at a super rapid rate.

Temporary Housing.
20180329_185855.jpg

The growth rate of the Pekin ducklings is crazy fast. They have long been out of a brooder for obvious reason. I have been using a homemade transportation cage we mount onto a trailer to haul small live stock to farm swaps and flea markets.
It is bottom-less and the duckies don't have an abrasive flooring to walk about on.
20180329_185909.jpg

It is basically like a tractor minus the wheels. We move it to a different location every other day to keep the ground fresh.
20180329_185918.jpg
They hop in-in the evening and I latch the door. It is heavy duty constructed with 2X4's/welded wire & 2 plywood sides-roof. They will out grow it soon enough. The larger scale version is currently in construction phase and being fully funded by chick sales. Gotta love spring time.
20180329_185934.jpg

Did you build this for the ducklings? Or just something you had on hand?
Built it about 4 years ago. We strap it down into/onto a trailer and fill it with livestock to take to flea markets/farm swaps etc. It has transported countless Turkeys, Chickens, Piglets. It has no floor so it never gets poopy. Just lift it out of the trailer and hose the trailer off. It has 2 plywood side walls as wind breakers for travel.
This is just a temporary house until we are completed with their home.. in progress.
I need this contraption back. We need it soon for a batch of piggies to be brought to another swap coming up.

Last edited:
But if you switch to Purina Flock Raiser, it *should* have everything your ducklings need, without additives..
This was the only brand available at the feed store earlier.
But I feel better getting them off that med crumb.
Thanks for your suggestion.:)
20180330_174544.jpg

That *should be* fine, I think @shawluvsbirds used it or similar for her Calls... still get the brewers yeast though soon as you can, just in case...
We have a big load of spent grains to pick up in the a.m.. I'll remind DH to ask them. (Not for the ducks) We raise piggies.

Back
Top Bottom