Ducky DO'S & DON'TS

And who knows you may have raised to perfect lil gentlemen :lau
It's just that I like to experience things to learn first hand. I read pages after pages on hear of how bad it is to have a rooster, "what sex is my bird?-sorry a rooster"- etc.. but I have close to a dozen boys and only one is dangerous. I have one who ranges and follows me around like a dog wanting a treat.
I'm just saying that if and when the situation arises when they become unmanageable or over work the female, I will address it then. I would have no problem making that decision then if the tranquility becomes disrupted. Then I would choose the lesser of both evils so to speak.
And we have been keeping an eye out for more additions. Chick sales have been working out above par this season. Preoccupied with various projects as well. Spring- is in full swing..
Thanks for everybody's advise.
ducky.gif

It's just that I like to experience things to learn first hand. I read pages after pages on hear of how bad it is to have a rooster, "what sex is my bird?-sorry a rooster"- etc.. but I have close to a dozen boys and only one is dangerous. I have one who ranges and follows me around like a dog wanting a treat.
I'm just saying that if and when the situation arises when they become unmanageable or over work the female, I will address it then. I would have no problem making that decision then if the tranquility becomes disrupted. Then I would choose the lesser of both evils so to speak.
And we have been keeping an eye out for more additions. Chick sales have been working out above par this season. Preoccupied with various projects as well. Spring- is in full swing..
Thanks for everybody's advise. View attachment 1372494
I know you'll do what you need to when the time comes. :p
You may not have a problem for quite a while. Just keep an eye out for mating damage and be ready to separate them before it gets out of hand if necessary. :hugs

I have a pair that do fine together just the two of them. But they are older. My younger ones I had 4 girls with 2 drake s and was still getting significant damage to two of my girls. I sold one drake and then the other one started in on one girl in particular. So now he is in the naughty bus so they can all heal up.

All week we have been receiving trailer loads of fresh spent grains. It is getting everywhere. What will it do to the ducks? Hard to free range them with all this action going on, but I don't want them caged up either. catch 22
I don't wish to supplement their diet in the least bit. But they are helping themselves slowly and moderately. The chickens are doing their best to clean it up but they are being over worked.

I have no idea watch for bloating I guess. :confused:
They mimic the free chickens. Kinda like a socializing community. I thought introduction would be an obstacle, but no. It's like they are all buddies?:idunno
The chickens FREAK OUT and charge the trailer area like seagulls at the beach attacking a sandwich, then the ducks see and mimic them. They are teaching my duckies BAD HABITS!:lau:smack
Almost bought more Pekins today @ RK. Resisted the urge like a pack-a-day smoker in a tobacco shop saying NO.. It was so hard not to but I prevailed.
I have time to expand later. Duck Fever... Never thought I would become a junky..:confused::gig

Back
Top Bottom