meggles_b5309

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2022
Hi everyone! I have been learning from this resource for a long time and finally joined the community! I have ducks, not chickens, but I’ve read a lot of people in the same boat on here so I hope it’s OK that I joined.

I have some ducks that are a little over a year old and they are super friendly layers. I just added four more ducks to my flock that I raised from ducklings, took my time introducing them, had them in the same run but separated for weeks and everything was fine, but now that they are together the new ducks are super mean to my big ones, chasing them off of food and water sources all the time. As a result, my big friendly ducks are terrified of them. There is a drake in the new mix of ducks and I think that he is the aggressive one. Will this aggressive behavior level out as the ducks mature? Thank you for reading!!

I just added a new pair of ducklings to four older female ducks. Even though I went slow, mine were terrified of the newbies too. I went out of town for two weeks and left them with a duck sitter. When I returned, they were all getting along. In fact, two of my older girls were in the pool with the young drake putting the head bobbing moves on him (little Cougars). So, give it time, and as Sourland suggested, space. They should be friends in time.

Thank you all for your advice!

I am pleased to announce my old girls are all laying again, and everyone was eating out of the same treat bowl this morning instead of fighting over the space.

Per your advice, I also added another feeding station and spread out their pools so they don't have competition over them. They even swam together yesterday :)

Thank you all for your advice!

I am pleased to announce my old girls are all laying again, and everyone was eating out of the same treat bowl this morning instead of fighting over the space.

Per your advice, I also added another feeding station and spread out their pools so they don't have competition over them. They even swam together yesterday :)
Good update.

I have another issue that seems to be getting worse. One of my original 4 girls is looking ROUGH. She is getting beat up (I believe by her own group) when I'm not around - missing feathers on the back of her head, looking unkempt.

She swims, eats, runs around with the best of them, but is SUPER skiddish around the new ducks (which includes one drake who could be doing this at night to her).

Should I separate her for a little while until she gets her feathers back and seems to look brighter?

How long does a moult last? My girls are a year and a half and she's the only one who has ever looked even remotely moulty.

Back
Top Bottom