Due to hatch in about 5 days...What to do next???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess P, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Princess P

Princess P New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I have my first girl setting, and she has chosen in her favorite nesting box in the coop. My husband & I are going to build out a temorary little area with scrap wood and wire to issolate her and the chicks. How long should they stay together in there after hatching? When should I let her bring them out?

We were thinking of leaving the temporary area up with a smaller whole after they are allowed out with the main flock to give them a safe zone to go into. But wouldn't mama protect them? Not sure what to do after hatch day. We are so excited but also nervous, you would think I was giving birth to my first child - but aren't I in a way [​IMG]

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Is this your only broody? If so, you can let them mingle with the flock on a trial basis, with supervision, after the chicks get a bit older...say, maybe, two or three weeks old.

Two broodies may fight bitterly with each other. I have a bruise on my arm to prove it. I broke up a hen fight yesterday and got pecked really well for my trouble. The broody hen who was lowest in the pecking order before she hatched chicks has a real chip on her shoulder. She sought out a fight, and this was free ranging, even!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by