Due to hatch in about 5 days...What to do next???

Princess P

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I have my first girl setting, and she has chosen in her favorite nesting box in the coop. My husband & I are going to build out a temorary little area with scrap wood and wire to issolate her and the chicks. How long should they stay together in there after hatching? When should I let her bring them out?

We were thinking of leaving the temporary area up with a smaller whole after they are allowed out with the main flock to give them a safe zone to go into. But wouldn't mama protect them? Not sure what to do after hatch day. We are so excited but also nervous, you would think I was giving birth to my first child - but aren't I in a way
wink.png

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Is this your only broody? If so, you can let them mingle with the flock on a trial basis, with supervision, after the chicks get a bit older...say, maybe, two or three weeks old.

Two broodies may fight bitterly with each other. I have a bruise on my arm to prove it. I broke up a hen fight yesterday and got pecked really well for my trouble. The broody hen who was lowest in the pecking order before she hatched chicks has a real chip on her shoulder. She sought out a fight, and this was free ranging, even!

Back
Top Bottom