Due to hatch the 17th! *3 chicks so far!*

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I've been candling and I keep ending up with completely dark eggs and it's hard to even see a clear spot. I'm almost sure that when I started they were all able to be seen into. I did notice yesterday that I have a few porous eggs. They are on day 14 and they are getting heavy. Oh and will a slightly higher temperature make them develop faster? At first the temperature was a little low so about day 5 I turned it up and now it's around 102-104 air temp. I'm kind of worried though. I hope out of 12 eggs I get at least 2 babies and then I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Well, if your eggs are completely dark, that doesn't sound good. When you first started candling could you see the air sacs? And now you can't? Are you sure your flashlight is strong enough?? I noticed that if I wasn't candling in almost total darkness, I would have that same problem (thinking the whole egg was dark).

Eggs will get lighter, yes lighter, as a chick develops--not heavier.

Hmm, I have eggs due to hatch on the 16th from an incubator, and my temps have dropped a bit so i expect the hatch to run a little late. I just moved the eggs to my broody hen tho to finish up.

However!! When I candled a couple days ago, I could certainly see thru the eggs and see a fluttering moving bit and veins. The eggs were no where near filled up. My eggs are brown too.

GL!

At first I seen veins but now it's just pure black but I think it's just not a strong enough light. They don't stink and are getting heavier than they were.

Do you see any air sac at all??

If what you see is all black, roll your egg slowly.........does the blackness seem to roll with it?? If so, it's definitely a rotten egg.

Good news everyone. I stole a super flash light off my uncle and candled all 12 of the eggs. Out of them 7 were fertile and alive with good healthy air sacks and the rest were clear with a little bit of floating stuff in the middle. I threw those out. With good luck I will hatch 7 chicks in just a few days. If I can wean out the males fast enough maybe I could keep the hens.

Duck, another BYCer suggested using a mini-maglite for candeling. You take out the clear lens, and screw cap back on. That allows the egg to "sit" on the end of the flashlight. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!! I can now see through even the darkest eggs. Works great for quail eggs, too. I just get in a closet with my basket of eggs, takes only a few minutes.

Glad to hear you have good eggs! Now........on with the hatch!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom