Dull Feathers, Please advise.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HollyDuckFarmer, Sep 15, 2013.

1. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    [​IMG]

Please help me figure out what's going on with my Rouen Duck's molt. The girl in the front is the one I'm concerned about. She's been like this since late Spring. For comparison, her sister (same age, same environment) to the rear has grown all new colored wing patches in just the past 2 weeks, since brooding her ducklings.
    My thinking is that I highly doubt a mite infestation, since none of the other flock members show any sign. I believe Miss Dull Feathers has been laying an egg daily, and she's full of her normal friendly personality, so I don't think she's egg bound or ill in any way. Any other ideas, Duck Friends? Thanks in advance.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you suppose she needs some kind of vitamin boost? As we know with niacin, ducklings seem to have a range of nutritional needs.

If she were mine, I would start adding some ground up flax seed to the food, and see if she'd take some extra protein treats. Not alot, just a boost.

3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    it's un likely that she will complete her molt until she finishes laying. Eggs are a large nutrient drain on her system, so she probably is channeling all her nutrients into eggs rather than feathers....that's why molt and laying is usually separated.

Clint

1 person likes this.
  4. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    So you think that based upon the pic, this just looks like a normal molt?

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Looks like she has replaced contour feathers, but n ot wing feathers....primaries, secondaries, or coverts....actually doesn't look like she has dropped them yet.

Clint

6. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    No, she has not. You are a Clever Guy!

:) Thank You

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by