DUMB QUACK I THINK I MIGHT HAVE SOLD PROBLEM OF GETTING HIM IN HOUSE

kseniyacholock

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2018
Well this dumb duck sits in front of it's owners house, been free range since they got it, wife and I only recently picked up a free big tall dog house for it with vent, because lazy husband didn't build one like he said he would all summer/fall! So the poor thing is out in the snow right now, came down pretty hard earlier and lots of it! Just standing in it, sitting in it, don't go near the dog house at all! But it's also not near his owners door, where he likes to stay near, I think he feels safe from predators there. So prior to getting the dog house I gave them a triangle shaped outdoor table with plexiglass top and today put the wide width against the brick wall below their living room window, where he likes to be at night, near it and the front door. Then found a sheet of plywood in basement that fit across front opening perfect and leaves an opening by their door and walkway; his favorite spot to sit. It's wide enough to escape a predator I think, if he smells or hears one near, where he at least won't be trapped by a small doorway like dog house has. He never liked being put in the dog crate I gave them when he was younger, I think is why he won't go inside the dog house. I put hay in a disposable litter box and hay on the ground, more comfortable than he was, laying in snow, so lets see how this works out.

So basically the duck is out in the snow and won’t go into the shelter and you are worried about it?

Ducks have to be trained to go into shelters to bed down. You can have a million dollar shelter, but unless you train the duck to go in it won’t do it.

Ducks are extremely cold tolerant if given proper care. So I wouldn’t assume it’s in a bad way ONLY because it’s not in a shelter when it’s snowy.

If the duck is near anything that can be a windbreak it should be fine. Absolutely no duck should be penned up 24/7 because it’s cold.

Honestly, I’d be more concerned that it’s a lone duck. That’s just sad.

WoW I never thought of that songster, but the problem is he has his set "pattern" of behavoir, stays by their door at night, their neighbor feeds him also all the time, he pratically runs after her when he sees her going down the long walk to the front door. then he goes up the street during the day, returning for food and back again then returns at night to stay by their front door. I'd never be able to get him to stay over here and as we rent an apartment, same as theirs, just different landlord, I highly doubt he'd allow us to have a duck. Someone recommended I contact a avian bird rescue and I did, cross your fingers as I am, that they can help.

Back
Top Bottom