Dumb question alert -- can we put bleach in the dishwasher??

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
I am trying to clean my grammas old cannign jars..I thought I'd put it through a prewash..the wash and maybe afterwards run it through a cycle w/bleach??

anyone?

Most, if not all, dishwasher detergents contain bleach anyway. Check the label to see.

It's a pain for us in a way, because we are on a septic tank system. The bleach can kill off the good bacteria! I only run it twice a week if needed, though I LOVE having it! I have a backup in the garage for when this one croaks.

Nice you have the old canning jars, they're so cool!

I would go get some of those dishwasher cleaning disks... The ones that are like for HE clothes washers but are made for dishwashers. Run the jars in the wash cycle with those. Then run them again with regular dishwasher detergent on the hot water cycle with heated dry.

Quote:
Op, I would just use the detergent with bleach, myself.

Ranchhand: We are on septic, too, and I just bought some detergent that does not have bleach in it- it has sodium carbonate and sodium silicate. I don't know if this is a good brand to use as I just bought it and haven't tried it. It says it is septic safe.

Quote:

Ranchhand: We are on septic, too, and I just bought some detergent that does not have bleach in it- it has sodium carbonate and sodium silicate. I don't know if this is a good brand to use as I just bought it and haven't tried it. It says it is septic safe.

Can you give me the brand name, please? Not sure I can get it out here, but I'll look it up. I'll have to check out the chemicals, but even if it's more expensive it may be worth it. We had a whole new system put in a few years back, because the previous owner was the self proclaimed "Queen of Bleach". That was bad enough, but her DH built a big spare bedroom over the only tank access.
th.gif

Try 1/4 cup of borax in with your regular detergent....it is bleach free and softens hard water for a streak/spot free wash....

I am on septic too....don't use bleach all that much...I think I usea about a gallon a year.....

I love to clean with natural products.....borax, vinegar, baking soda.....haven't run across a natural laundry substitute yet....

Quote:

Can you give me the brand name, please? Not sure I can get it out here, but I'll look it up. I'll have to check out the chemicals, but even if it's more expensive it may be worth it. We had a whole new system put in a few years back, because the previous owner was the self proclaimed "Queen of Bleach". That was bad enough, but her DH built a big spare bedroom over the only tank access.
th.gif

Oh dear. That is quite frustrating.

Here is what I bought: (I bought mine at my Winco grocery store.)
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sun-sations-automatic-dishwashing-detergent/ID=prod4244319-product

Also I bought the "citrus scent" - same brand and active ingredients. Made by The Sun Products Corpl, Wilton, CT 06897

www.sunproductscorp.com or 800-418-3162

Last edited:
Ooooh, Sweet, thank you. I am always on the lookout for lower impact items.

Yes, it was a bummer about the septic system, but there are quite a few things the sellers didn't mention. That's one of the minor ones!
hmm.png

areyoumymother, there are some homemade detergent recipes here, but even better,, check out the BYC sister site www.sufficientself.com
A lot of those folks are members here, too.

Oh hell, as long as I'm touting, check out www.theeasygarden.com as well, another sister site. The links are at the bottom of most pages here.

Back
Top Bottom