Dumb question here...

After reading this, the faint, flickering thought of raising my own meat chickens came up with it's own question: would it be better to get the cornish cross that's bred for meat, or a roo assortment of the heavier breeds? I really don't want to have something that's going to suffer from leg problems because it grows too fast, even if I am going to slaughter it. Also, I prefer dark meat, while my hubby likes light. Which would produce the best balance, and which is more humane?

If I remember right that combo from mmh is not hybrids, its just heavy breed cockrels. I would just raise them together in the brooder and when they move out, I would start feeding the roos up for slaughter.

Rte.66_chicks :

After reading this, the faint, flickering thought of raising my own meat chickens came up with it's own question: would it be better to get the cornish cross that's bred for meat, or a roo assortment of the heavier breeds? I really don't want to have something that's going to suffer from leg problems because it grows too fast, even if I am going to slaughter it. Also, I prefer dark meat, while my hubby likes light. Which would produce the best balance, and which is more humane?

Most people don't have leg problems as long as they butcher early. Its usually when you wait that they develop problems.

The crosses tend to be more like a grocery store board. Heavier and bigger, with large breast. The heavy breeds will have more narrow breast. The benefit to me with the heavies is that you don't have to be in a rush to slaughter all at once. They are also much cheaper to buy. You can buy 100 from Cackle for about $26 plus shipping.​

You won't have probelms if you plan in advance and raise accordingly. I never had any physical poblems with the birds I raised. They were gorgeous.

The breasts were beautiful and huge like a small turkey. The thighs wide and tender.

I won't ever raise a different bird for meat to fill the freezer. We do dispatch and freeze the extra roos because to do otherwise would be a waste. For strictly meat these were the best I have ever experienced. I plan to raise twice as many this coming fall.

I think you will be much more satisfied raising broilers than growing extra cockrels. Just the time is takes and the meat you get from a cockrel can't compare to a properly bred broiler.

Back
Top Bottom