DUMB QUESTION~ Mixed Breeds Sterile?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Sep 6, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I don't know where I read it but is it true that mixed breeds produce sterile off spring? If so, would that mean my ducks are sterile and only going through the motions of mating and egg laying but nothing will be in the egg??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any of the mallard based breeds crossed on other mallard based breeds produce offspring that are fertile. Muscovies crossed on any of the mallard based breeds produce offspring that are sterile.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I agree with this.

4. FunnyBunnies12

I guess I still don't understand. Then what are my ducks considered? Mule and these eggs aren't fertile? Or the off spring will be mule ducks?[​IMG]

5. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi FB,

Both of your ducks are mallard derived. They don't have any muscovy in them, therefore they will produce offspring who in turn will produce offspring, etc. No-one is sterile!

Stop worrying, it will all be OK [​IMG] [​IMG]

And make sure you post pics of those babies, it's the BYC law, lol!

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
  7. FunnyBunnies12

Thank you very much everyone! You all are the greatest and I'm very thankful I found this site! We are on egg # 10 now and she still isn't sitting. I can't wait for the incubator to get here!

8. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    FB, I would wait until she has laid a few more, and then you will probably see that she will start to sit when she thinks she has enough. There is no exact number, it is down to the individual duck. Don't give up on her and resort to the incubator just yet !!

I am a strong believer in the natural ways, and mummy duck will most likely make a much better mummy to those babies than any human can try to do artificially! It's also really cute to see her looking after them, teaching them to forage, protecting them and keeping them warm under her wing. You can easily make them tame too by handling them frequently yourself.

Lots of people "lose" a duck only to find them return with a brood of ducklings, having hidden them and brooded them successfully without any human intervention!

Good luck!

9. FunnyBunnies12

If anything, I'd like to incubate a few as a learning tool on what I'm doing, looking for, ect. And God forbid anything would happen to mom between now and then I have an incubator on hand and I'll know what to do. KWIM?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by