Dumb Question re: Plastic storage bin

Spinster_Sister

Songster
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Hawthorne, CA
OK, I order my chicken feed from Countryside Natural in Virginia and they ship it in a heavy brown paper sack inside of a brown box. I want to put the food inside a plastic kitty litter bucket and my mother says the food needs air or it will go bad.

What is your opinion? I am afraid of keeping it in the paper bag/box because of mice....but Mom insists that the kitty litter plastic bucket will spoil the food much quicker.

Common sense told me to post my question here ....

So Paper or Plastic??
hu.gif

I keep both feed and scratch in those plastic pet food bins. I have never had it go bad.
CJ

I keep mine in big rubbermaid totes. I would think that keeping it in the bag could draw moisture and rodents. As long as you keep the bin covered and latched, no moisture should get in and rodents won't be able to get in.

I put my feed in galvanized trash cans so that rodents can't get to it. We keep our feed in the barn. I've never had a problem with moldy food. They eat it up so fast, I don't know if it would have time to mold!
big_smile.png

Just make sure that you use all of the old food in the bin before adding new food, otherwise the "leftover" old food may get stale or buggy. I put the whole bag inside a metal trash can so that it makes it easier to rotate out the old and in the fresh food.

Back
Top Bottom