dumb questions from first timer...

It started to develop and then died.
Maybe it was lost at the bottom of the nest, got cold and died or died and mom pushed it to the bottom of the nest.

It's 5 weeks now and the Lady Runner is still sitting on a couple eggs of unknown age. How long can this go on? Other than missing my daily (almost) egg from her, do I leave her alone and allow her to continue to do whatever she's doing? Thanks..... Gary

It's 5 weeks now and the Lady Runner is still sitting on a couple eggs of unknown age. How long can this go on? Other than missing my daily (almost) egg from her, do I leave her alone and allow her to continue to do whatever she's doing? Thanks..... Gary
Most ducks other than Muscovy hatch in 28-30 days I'd say it's time to candle and smell .

If I determine the eggs are not viable, should I toss them, and assume she will give it up and return to her normal everyday life? Do I deconstruct her nest? Thanks..... Gary
I deconstruct their nests. I take out all old bedding and add new it may still take her a few days to get over it but she will so just let her in her own time but with no eggs and new bedding it should be pretty quick. Let me say be very careful when holding those eggs if they haven't gone of yet if rotten they may soon.

Well it's been 2 months from the time my gal runner quit laying and started sitting. A week ago, while she was off the nest, I removed 4 eggs and somewhat deconstructed her nest. Perhaps I didn't do it thoroughly enough as she gathered it all back up and has been sitting on an empty nest. Although I haven't caught her off the nest the last couple days to know for sure if it's empty. Of the 4 eggs I removed, 2 were warm and 2 were cold. I cracked them open to see what was up. The cold eggs looked normal and the warm eggs were just a mass of yellow curdled smelly mess. Should I totally remove the nest and provide new bedding material and go from there? Thanks for all your answers and insights!

Gary

Well it's been 2 months from the time my gal runner quit laying and started sitting. A week ago, while she was off the nest, I removed 4 eggs and somewhat deconstructed her nest. Perhaps I didn't do it thoroughly enough as she gathered it all back up and has been sitting on an empty nest. Although I haven't caught her off the nest the last couple days to know for sure if it's empty. Of the 4 eggs I removed, 2 were warm and 2 were cold. I cracked them open to see what was up. The cold eggs looked normal and the warm eggs were just a mass of yellow curdled smelly mess. Should I totally remove the nest and provide new bedding material and go from there? Thanks for all your answers and insights!

Gary
Yep i would I find if mine can find the least bit of nesting material they will put it right back together again matter of fact all of mine will do it that is why I take all old bedding out now and add new, usually the old bedding could stand to be replaced anyway. It still may take her up to a few days to a week but she'll finally give up.

Some just have the hardest time hopefully you can get her to start eating and drinking again. I usually use Poultry Nutri drench in their water to help them get over it.

Thanks Miss Lydia.... do I need to wait to catch her off the nest or can I just ease her out? She doesn't come off it for long a couple times a day so often I don't catch her when she does. She seems to be eating and drinking but I will try the Nutri drench anyway.

Thanks Miss Lydia.... do I need to wait to catch her off the nest or can I just ease her out? She doesn't come off it for long a couple times a day so often I don't catch her when she does. She seems to be eating and drinking but I will try the Nutri drench anyway.
At this stage I'd just take her off close the door and do what you have to. she will pitch a fit and best keep the butt aimed away from you. lol I've done it both ways so up to you.

Thanks again Miss Lydia..... I closed her off from the nesting box and after a few attempts to figure out what was going on she seems fine with it and has resumed her life again. Can I look forward to her starting to give me eggs again anytime soon do you suppose?

Back
Top Bottom