Dumb questions---sorry

Peavy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Reno, NV
I keep seeing y'all mention DE, which I finally figured out was Diatomaceous Earth. Why and how would one use it? Also, I don't have a droppings board for my 8 hens in a 6X12 indoor coop attached to a 8x16 outdoor run. Do I need one? I live in Reno where it is EXTREMELY dry. I just have very deep straw indoors and change it spring and fall, in the meantime I just stir the droppings under the roost into the existing straw and it dries out and dissipates. Is this bad? Thanks!!!

Quote:
Some people use DE as a parasite and/or bug prevenntative both externally and internally. And it dries out litter keeping the coop drier and reduces smell. Some people think it is a waste of money.

It is sprinkled in the coop on the floor and in the food.

You do not need a dropping board. Some people find it is helpful in keeping the poop cleaned up.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

Imp

The only dumb question is the one not asked. Imp pretty much answered but I just thought I would add that if you use DE make sure you use food grade and not pool grade.
frow.gif

In a very dry climate, you won't need to use the DE in their litter. And the deep litter method you are using does not need a dropping board. Stirring the litter occasionally is all that is needed, and your chickens will do that for you if you throw a handful of scratch or black oil sunflower seeds into their coop for them to dig around and find. This is how I manage my coop litter. It's extremely dry here too and I also use straw.

Back
Top Bottom