Dumb silkie - smart rooster!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Oct 30, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My baby flock decided to invade the big birds area again yesterday. It's a riot to sit and watch the adult birds reaction to having the babies in their space. There's not a single shy or timid bird in the baby flock and they basically walk into the adults area and take over the joint. I get lots of "this is sooo not right!" looks from my adult birds.

When it started getting dark I decided to chase the babies back to their area, both for their own safety and so that the big birds would feel comfortable with going in their coop.

Everyone ran straight back through the gate to their yard except Ellie Mae, a silkie. Instead of going back through the gate like a good little silkie, Ellie decided to run behind our large propane tank. She was trapped there between the tank and the fence. I spent a good 10 minutes chasing her back and forth from each side of the tank, careful not to get in the poison ivy. Ellie would run right up to the open gate, but wouldn't go around it and through the opening. Back and forth we went. [​IMG]

My young rooster Impy watched all the action with alot of interest; tilting his head back and forth. Finally he took pity on me. He walked back through the gate and stood at the edge of it. He made his "I have a yummy treat!" noise and Ellie Mae ran righ to him. He turned around and Ellie followed him through the gate, back to the safety of her own yard.

I take back every mean thing I've said about Impy. Also making a mental note to practice my treat call. [​IMG]

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    How sweet, he loves you. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Really? Is that why the little twerp goes nuts trying to wing dance me every time he sees me? [​IMG]

Oh, I forgot. Good Impy! I love Impy!

4. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Funny...The visual was great.
    What a good boy helping you out. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love roosters. [​IMG]

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Awww! So amazing and cute!!! What a good boy! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm starting to love Impy more and more, now that his hormones are calming down a bit. He's gonna be a good roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by