Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
I already have the addiction lol Trying to figure out my plan on getting more chicky girls. I think I'm going to get a few baby chicks this time so I can watch them grow. My 7 I have now I got when they were feathered and coop ready. But still need to build another coop before all that
1f604.png

Addicted, you say? The little buggers are worse than heroin. I live on a small dead-end street and the girls have taken it over, wandering from one yard to another, helping everyone with their gardening, ridding their yards of those pesky earth worms.. There's only one dog, and she doesn't bother them ... she's figured out they belong on "her street" and watches over them. My cats either ignore them or try to play with them, and the neighborhood cats don't know what to make of them. Anyone who comes by is met in the driveway by the welcoming committee.

All this and the best eggs ever. What's not to love?

Last edited:
You guys...my husband...

A couple of days ago, we started letting the youngins out of their pen. Noticed one of the pullets with pretty much water poo. I mentioned needing to check on that (I'm a noob, no hiding that) and he asked if they peed. I told him no, it's one and the same. Flash forward to this evening. Stone cold serious, he asks me, "If they don't pee, how do they reproduce?" I stared at him in disbelief, expecting a laugh. Oh no. He meant it seriously. I asked him why he thought that and he told me, "well if they don't pee, where does the semen come from, if they don't have a urethra?" Oh husband, they don't have the same reproductive parts...

lau.gif

Okay, I have to fess up one of my "dumb" moments... but at least I was only 3 or 4 years old. I grew up on a small farm with cows, chickens, rabbits, a stocked pond, a large garden and many other dogs/cats, etc. Every now and then, my mom would say, "Do not come out of the house until I tell you it's okay." See, all the animals were my "friends", so she was trying to protect me. Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I stepped outside just as the ax came down on one of my RIR buddies. I was horrified.
ep.gif
First thing I think of is that if the chicken we eat is the same as the chickens that are my pals, and the color orange is the same as the orange we eat... I went on overload and was afraid to eat anything because it may be my BFF or something. I went a day or so without eating until my mom firmly informed me that I would eat what was put in front of me... I did, of course. Ah, farm life with a soft-hearted child!

I had a dumb moment last week. I'm doing some meat birds and me and the girlfriend were just finishing up taking care of the Rangers before going out for dinner. She was looking at them and started pointing out to me that a couple of them had funny looking bumps on their necks. got to looking at them some more and saw that it was all of them, all on the right side of their necks. turns out it was just their crops being all full. This is my 3 year of chickens and that was the first time I had seen that on chickens.

Okay, I have to fess up one of my "dumb" moments... but at least I was only 3 or 4 years old.  I grew up on a small farm with cows, chickens, rabbits, a stocked pond, a large garden and many other dogs/cats, etc.  Every now and then, my mom would say, "Do not come out of the house until I tell you it's okay."  See, all the animals were my "friends", so she was trying to protect me.  Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I stepped outside just as the ax came down on one of my RIR buddies.  I was horrified.  :eek:  First thing I think of is that if the chicken we eat is the same as the chickens that are my pals, and the color orange is the same as the orange we eat... I went on overload and was afraid to eat anything because it may be my BFF or something.  I went a day or so without eating until my mom firmly informed me that I would eat what was put in front of me... I did, of course.  Ah, farm life with a soft-hearted child!  
LOL. Don't worry, I'd be the same...

My dad calls this site Backyard Chicken Grill :lau  I'm not saying that is dumb, but it is kind of silly....:p
haha!

Well I have never experience this but now I have hear this twice at work. One lady told me that when she was younger they had chickens and that they drowned in the rain. My first thought was maybe the coop got flooded. She said that the chickens drowned because they were looking up at the rain drops. LOL. A few months later another lady told me the same thing. She saw I had some egg cartons on my desk and asked me what I did with them. So I told her that I had chickens and used the carton to sell some of the eggs. Then she said, I wanted some chickens but my dad said they are dumb, they drown when it rains. I just smile at her and said, mine know how to swim. She just looked at me and walked away.

Well this isn't dumb, but it surprises me how afraid people are of chickens! My cousin and her husband were visiting from Illinois. She grew up on a huge dairy farm with all sorts of animals, including some very dangerous bulls. She's not a weak person by any means. So, she was enjoying the sunshine and I had been in the big girl coop and decided to bring out Pearl, a sweet 3 1/2 year old red/brown sex-linked hen. Pearl was just chillin' while I held her, not fussing or pecking or anything, just totally relaxed and enjoying being petted. I was trying to convince my cousin to feel how nice Pearl's feathers felt on her back, but my cousin was very reluctant and said, "You know, I don't know why, but I've always been a little afraid of chickens." I managed to get her to touch her feathers for a brief second. When I hold my chickens, I always pet and play with their feet and they will gently grasp my fingers and sort of "play" back (they love their feet rubbed!) I offered my cousin $100 if she would touch Pearl's feet and she said "no way!" Go figure!
idunno.gif

Ok. You had me right here. I knew it was going to be good:

"You guys...my husband..."

But, it was oh so much better than I expected.

"You mean ... chickens and people are DIFFERENT?"

Last edited:
Well this isn't dumb, but it surprises me how afraid people are of chickens! My cousin and her husband were visiting from Illinois. She grew up on a huge dairy farm with all sorts of animals, including some very dangerous bulls. She's not a weak person by any means. So, she was enjoying the sunshine and I had been in the big girl coop and decided to bring out Pearl, a sweet 3 1/2 year old red/brown sex-linked hen. Pearl was just chillin' while I held her, not fussing or pecking or anything, just totally relaxed and enjoying being petted. I was trying to convince my cousin to feel how nice Pearl's feathers felt on her back, but my cousin was very reluctant and said, "You know, I don't know why, but I've always been a little afraid of chickens." I managed to get her to touch her feathers for a brief second. When I hold my chickens, I always pet and play with their feet and they will gently grasp my fingers and sort of "play" back (they love their feet rubbed!) I offered my cousin $100 if she would touch Pearl's feet and she said "no way!" Go figure!
idunno.gif

Good Night!!!!!!!!!!!! Who wouldn't go for that deal???
idunno.gif
Doesn't make any sense to me. lol

Back
Top Bottom