Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

There are some who breed their sheep much later in the year or even in early Spring. A few breeds will come into heat then, but it isn't very common. A lot of lamb meat gets frozen or imported from Australia, which are on the opposite seasons from us.

Hair breeds come into heat and breed well in the fall as well as the spring...pretty much any time, really, so very easy to have spring market lambs from hair sheep. More folks in the US are moving towards hair breeds for the meat market and we even have a new hair breed called Royal Whites that has been developed recently from Dorper/St. Croix mix.

Some day I'm going to get some Jacob sheep. Those sheep look like the coolest piebald sheep ever! And they are hardy and lamb easy, from what I'm told.

So, I got one the other day, and it really confused me...my ex knows I have chickens and love them (and knows why- I don't like the conditions the poor factory birds are subjected to) and knows I want to be a homesteader. I told him a few weeks ago that I wanted to get a job to save up money for my homesteading endeavors, and a few days ago, he shows me an ad he found on cl about someone needing a person to live on their property and manage their 16,000(!) bird capacity chicken house. He was like "You would have two acres to yourself to put your chickens on, AND be getting paid to work with chickens! Doesn't that sound great?" I stared at him for a full minute before I said, "Umm, but if I worked there, not only would it be morally against everything I believe in, but I would have to get rid of all my birds to comply with the big corps regulations, so, no, that doesn't sound great. That sounds horrible and depressing." It even listed one of the job duties as 'Picking up dead birds'! No, thank you. I'll stick with my happy, healthy chickens, if it's all the same to you. And this is the guy who still wonders why we're not together! Gee, I dunno...maybe it's because you don't know me or what's important to me at all! *shakes head*

Last edited:
Hair breeds come into heat and breed well in the fall as well as the spring...pretty much any time, really, so very easy to have spring market lambs from hair sheep.  More folks in the US are moving towards hair breeds for the meat market and we even have a new hair breed called Royal Whites that has been developed recently from Dorper/St. Croix mix. 

There are a lot of people who are fans of hair sheep. Personally, I prefer primitive sheep, specifically Icelandics. They tend to need much less intervention than others. But, anyway, I was mostly just trying to show that the name and the animal don't match up to what you are seeing in your mind, if you're not familiar with how those industries work.

Today I was showing off pictures of my flock and pets, and someone asked about a picture of my hens and a rooster, one of my cats, and my dog. In the picture, they are all napping together. The person told me it was not real (i.e. photoshopped) because A) my dog was not chasing the cat B) the cat was not chasing the chickens C) my rooster was curled up by my dog and apparently chickens are not at all social and roosters are aggressive to everything. Also they didn't believe my dog weighed 90# because the cat is very large compared to him (my cat is a farm cat that is lean, but stands 12" at the shoulder and weighs 14#). Some people.
I also have my cat and roosters trained on cues for tricks and things, so I showed them one of my pictures of a trick that took a week to learn. "COP". somehow they didn't believe this one: (gun is edited in, obviously.)
ETA: Butch and Tillie

Last edited:
@ChickenGoesRuff
yuckyuck.gif
great post there really hilarious photo there and
great training to have them all get along so well we have a Shasta trailer from yesteryear
that we raised 3 feral cats to be mousers and keep moles away they grew up in site
of my chickens and have been in the chicken yard at different times with me
rotten luck never too the photo
hide.gif

Today I was showing off pictures of my flock and pets, and someone asked about a picture of my hens and a rooster, one of my cats, and my dog. In the picture, they are all napping together. The person told me it was not real (i.e. photoshopped) because A) my dog was not chasing the cat B) the cat was not chasing the chickens C) my rooster was curled up by my dog and apparently chickens are not at all social and roosters are aggressive to everything. Also they didn't believe my dog weighed 90# because the cat is very large compared to him (my cat is a farm cat that is lean, but stands 12" at the shoulder and weighs 14#). Some people.
I also have my cat and roosters trained on cues for tricks and things, so I showed them one of my pictures of a trick that took a week to learn. "COP". somehow they didn't believe this one: (gun is edited in, obviously.)
ETA: Butch and Tillie

They've obviously learned everything they know about animals from comic books. Just like some people I've met who've learned everything about LIFE from comic books. Explains why they're so much like cartoon characters.

You could have heightened taste sensitivity right now.  Enjoy it!  Come back after the baby is born, and tell us if Silkie eggs continue to be superior!!!  Wishing you the best with your pregnancy, and a speedy and safe, easy delivery.

Well i had may baby almost 2 weeks ago now and i can say that my little silkies eggs still taste different. One of her daughters just started laying 3 days ago and her eggs also have a distict flavor. Not sure why but ill take it. My husband teases me about my plate full of mini eggs for breakfast

It may be a bit different than your way with weights...but I've done both; lamb in the spring and grow them out and sell them in Jan/Feb when there's a good demand for lamb. I aimed for 90-115 pounds, depending on the year and the market. I don't slaughter my own eating lamb until the lambs were 140-160lbs. I always keep the best and biggest one's for meat for us. Or like mentioned, I lambed both spring and fall, and marketed them both in Jan/Feb. The fall lambs were smaller and brought a premium price. I've never marketed lambs in the fall. We're usually combining so it never worked out...lol.
I miss raising sheep. When I was a kid my mom(veterinarian) would barter services rendered for bum lambs. One year, we acquired 14 after this poor shepherd ended up with his whole flock getting poisoned. We raised them up for 4h and because mom wanted us to learn about responsibility
Hair breeds come into heat and breed well in the fall as well as the spring...pretty much any time, really, so very easy to have spring market lambs from hair sheep. More folks in the US are moving towards hair breeds for the meat market and we even have a new hair breed called Royal Whites that has been developed recently from Dorper/St. Croix mix.
Some day I'm going to get some Jacob sheep. Those sheep look like the coolest piebald sheep ever! And they are hardy and lamb easy, from what I'm told.
There are a lot of people who are fans of hair sheep. Personally, I prefer primitive sheep, specifically Icelandics. They tend to need much less intervention than others. But, anyway, I was mostly just trying to show that the name and the animal don't match up to what you are seeing in your mind, if you're not familiar with how those industries work.
Thanks for all the info and sorry i never replied, havent been on much, but sheep seem really awesome
Today I was showing off pictures of my flock and pets, and someone asked about a picture of my hens and a rooster, one of my cats, and my dog. In the picture, they are all napping together. The person told me it was not real (i.e. photoshopped) because A) my dog was not chasing the cat B) the cat was not chasing the chickens C) my rooster was curled up by my dog and apparently chickens are not at all social and roosters are aggressive to everything. Also they didn't believe my dog weighed 90# because the cat is very large compared to him (my cat is a farm cat that is lean, but stands 12" at the shoulder and weighs 14#). Some people. I also have my cat and roosters trained on cues for tricks and things, so I showed them one of my pictures of a trick that took a week to learn. "COP". somehow they didn't believe this one: (gun is edited in, obviously.) ETA: Butch and Tillie
LOL ridiculous they thought it was photoshopped but they do seem really well trained!!! That's impressive alone. And i didnt realize cats and chickens could be taught such a complicated trick hah I mean, i knew theoretically they're smart and could be but never seen anyone do it.
@ChickenGoesRuff
yuckyuck.gif
great post there really hilarious photo there and great training to have them all get along so well we have a Shasta trailer from yesteryear that we raised 3 feral cats to be mousers and keep moles away they grew up in site of my chickens and have been in the chicken yard at different times with me rotten luck never too the photo
hide.gif
They've obviously learned everything they know about animals from comic books. Just like some people I've met who've learned everything about LIFE from comic books. Explains why they're so much like cartoon characters.
Lol true

Back
Top Bottom