Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I will keep learning asd long as I am alive god willing

That's how I feel, and I wish everyone felt that way. A lot of people seem resistant to that, though, and if you try to enlighten them even in a non-preachy or condescending way, they get defensive or just completely lack interest (I don't know which is worse). I'm not saying we should be interested in learning EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING but I do like being well-rounded in my general knowledge. Some people prefer a limited existence, physically and mentally.

On the subject of meat, younger animals are more tender, less gamey, and you are right that dairy steer are better butchered as calves. Generally, they are butchered at just shy of a year old. It's the same with lambs. They aren't butchered as LAMBS, but as young sheep at about 8 months old. It has been fairly standard practice to butcher at least a few animals small in most species, because often you couldn't afford to raise all of them out. That's why suckling pigs were popular, especially. I don't have an issue with this or with horses/llamas/low quality alpacas being butchered. You have to thin the gene pool somehow. That's why we have such low prices for these animals now. People can't afford to keep them in a lot of instances, because they don't pay for themselves.

As for stories, one of my good friends came to buy eggs and was absolutely shocked that I had black eggs. She thought I'd dyed them or coated them as a joke. It took showing her picture after picture on Google to understand it lol

I'm so oblivious I had no idea they waited to butcher lambs and neither did my dad. That makes me feel a lot better LOL do they ever butcher them as "lambs" or no? Curious if the young adult thing is standard practice even for grocery store lamb or? Makes me feel better though lol so thank you and i admit i feel dumb
1f602.png

But yeah, you have a point about the other animals.

We had never had store bought meat until I was off to college at 16
chose University of Nebraska had a aunt and Uncle to live with till I was 18

I was teaching a city lady and her husband how to make chickens dead, as they bought a farm here in WV and wanted to homestead it, learn to grow and kill their own food animals, etc. She wanted to watch but she kept saying her husband would be doing the deed when it needed done in the future. I killed one and demonstrated the process, evisceration,e tc. Hubby killed one and was helped in evisceration, but then had to take off for work. The third bird was there and I asked her if she wanted to do this one but she said her husband would be doing all the killing.

I said, "Imagine your husband dies tonight...will you keep this farm and go forward with your original plans?"

She quite emphatically replied, "Yes!"

I came back, "Then you need to do this bird."

She did it. I was proud of her immediate recognition of the possibilities in life and the need to adapt to meet them.

I encourage all you ladies to imagine what could happen and prepare for it now, rather than later. It's so, so much easier to know it and have the skill but never need it, than to need it and never have experience with it when the time calls for it. Same with anything in life...teach your daughters basic car maintenance along with sons, the sons how to cook and clean along with the daughters, the husband or wife how to pay the bills, cook, basic home construction,how to run the chainsaw, tractor or washing machine. In the end it makes the more stressful times in life easier when one is prepared to do without a partner or parent.
I'm so far behind on reading...but this is exactly what I say! So nice to see someone else who shares the same views!
highfive.gif

I completely agree! Not only would both sexes be better prepared...having these skills boosts confidence and self respect. I think this would go a long way in helping with some of our society's issues.

I've always worked right along side the guys in the fields and in all regards. I'm the one the guys call in to do the difficult vetting, the one who does all the genetic sourcing for our cattle/sheep/chickens and I'm the one who puts down any animal/bird should it be required. The guys' hearts are too tender.
I will also be the one who will do the killing in regards to my chickens. My husband and I have also managed to raise a son who is a kind, responsible, mature young man who can cook, clean and who has does his own laundry since he was 12. If we had a daughter...she'd be working the equipment etc, no different than our son.

@Wickedchicken6 That is how I raised and still do today
limited of course by vision there is nothing I cannot or will not try
when it comes to work.. We all three do our own laundry and whatever
I am cooking bf son is cooking with me

"Don't you need a rooster to get eggs?"
1f633.png
1f633.png
1f633.png

I am amazed that the more intelligent the person, the more likely they are to ask that stupid question. LOL!!!!
I get that question alot. Makes me so mad. I have made references to the human body before when I have gotten that question, but I probably should not post them.....

I'm so oblivious I had no idea they waited to butcher lambs and neither did my dad. That makes me feel a lot better LOL do they ever butcher them as "lambs" or no? Curious if the young adult thing is standard practice even for grocery store lamb or? Makes me feel better though lol so thank you and i admit i feel dumb
1f602.png

But yeah, you have a point about the other animals.

Lambs are rather complicated as a meat animal. They sell best for meat in Spring, but that is also when they are born. When the lambs are small/young, they just don't have enough meat to be worth butchering and they wouldn't be worth very much. Lambs grow quite well and quickly just on mom's milk animal rend grass, so it's more profitable to raise them out, than to butcher them.

Even veal isn't that "small". They are typically butchered at 450# or more. They get to live longer lives than cornish chickens. And cornish game hens are slaughtered even younger than those.

Back
Top Bottom