Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Got a phone call one day from somebody wanting some of my hatching eggs/fertile eggs.

I said "Perfect, how many eggs and what breed would you like?".

They said "Whichever are best with kids!".

I replied with "Well... as long as the kids are gentle and you hand tame them from the time they are young then any (of the breeds I have) would be a good choice."

We ended up agreeing upon 12 eggs, a few from each of the breeds I had at the time.

I later got a text from her, she said "do they need to be kept warm? How many hours will it take for them to hatch?".

I began wondering if I was about to have to teach a bit of hatching 101 for the hundredth time, it would be no biggie if it was.
Before long I had typed out a few basic parameters I keep my eggs at and then asked about the most important step.

I then sent the text which ended with the sentence "Are you using a incubator or a broody hen to hatch these?".

She texted back " What do I need those for? Eggs from a hen hatch after the rooster goes in the nest and fertilizes them. You keep a rooster with your hens... don't you?"

I thought I was being punked or something. I tried explaining to her that "hatching eggs" aren't actively hatching when you buy them, they just simply have the potential to hatch if they were incubated by a broody hen or a incubator.

I could tell that she wasn't believing a bit of what I said... I ended with "here is a link to how chicken eggs become fertilized and another about how incubation works ".

Believe it or not I have come across a few people who thought a rooster stood by the nests and "fertilized" the eggs AFTER they had been layed by the hens. I always reply with "you mean like salmon, goldfish and tilapia?" and they then just look at me like I am the uneducated one LOL.

:th

Oh, gosh, COME ON AMERICA!!!!!
barnie.gif

RE: ETA: Regarding the term "hatching eggs" I think my mail carrier misinterprets that phrase as well when she brings me "live hatching eggs". She thinks they are breaking through the shell at that very moment. ~~

Totally understandable, as the word "hatching" is a verb, as in, "The eggs are hatching." The term "hatching eggs" is a euphemism used by chicken people to mean "fertilized eggs that are capable of producing a chick", and is actually grammatically incorrect in that usage, as "hatching" is being used as an adjective to describe a fertilized egg instead of a verb. So, don't be too hard on people who assume the term means something else.

Much of today's English usage is grammatically incorrect, but adopted by the general populace, anyway. For example, people now commonly use the proper noun, golf, as a verb, "golfing". There's no such word. It would be like saying, "tennising" or "footballing". The correct verb here is "to play", and the proper noun, the name of the game, is "golf", as in "playing golf".

So, there you have the source of the misunderstanding by the uninitiated - the misuse of language.

I have just been guilty of "nerding" (see: "oh dear it appears I have nerded") and my autocorrect function has just crashed.

Last edited:
I beg to differ, birds, or "Avia" are now classified under Dinosaurs, since they directly evolved from maniraptoran dinosaurs.

oh dear it appears I have nerded.

Ok, I don't want to get into a debate here, but if evolution is the survival of the fittest, then chickens would so not exsist
sad.png

I belive that everything was created by God, and that He loves us
big_smile.png

Chickens are genetically modified by people during the domestication process, making them completely reliant on people for survival. They are descended from red jungle fowl of Asia. Red jungle fowl are hearty, self preserving birds related to pheasants.

Ok, I don't want to get into a debate here, but if evolution is the survival of the fittest, then chickens would so not exsist
sad.png

I belive that everything was created by God, and that He loves us
big_smile.png
Without getting into debate, IMO it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does in creation. By scientific definition, evolution can not be proved, so the science of evolution is non existent.

Chickens are genetically modified by people during the domestication process, making them completely reliant on people for survival. They are descended from red jungle fowl of Asia. Red jungle fowl are hearty, self preserving birds related to pheasants.
Huge difference between genetic modification and genetic selection. If you believe modern day chickens are totally dependent on people for survival, take a walk in any of the southern states and see all of the feral chicken flocks running around. Or take a walk in any third world country and see the same. I was privileged to visit Guatemala 2 summers ago, and saw many flocks of chickens that were essentially feral, yet possessing much of the genetic diversity that would label them as BR, RIR, and many of the other recognized breeds that we have in our flocks here under domestic care. I highly doubt that Red Jungle fowl would survive well here in Maine without coddling.

Back
Top Bottom