Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

So, I worked for tsc for several months, and you would not believe some of the stuff that people thought.

There were the obvious people who thought that you need a rooster for eggs, people who didn't realize you needed a brooder light/hen. There were a few people who said they "had been raising chickens for years, and just toss 'em outside and they do fine". Then there were the stranger ones. One lady fed her chickens straight cracked corn for, oh, maybe about 4 months because she read an article online saying that her laying chickens didn't need layer feed in the winter because "it was bad for chickens to lay eggs in winter". We had an employee who didn't own chickens, and he was trying to tell the sex of chicks by lifting them by their heads, in front of customers. We got some Easter eggers pullets in once, and they were all varied colors. One employee saw the yellow chicks, and was "absolutely sure" as he could "tell by the wings" that they were Cornish rocks in the wrong pen, and tossed them in with the crosses. Not only were they half the size, but they were a different shade of yellow. As it turned out, we were able to find all but one of the ones swapped, so someone got an EE instead of a Cornish cross. Bet that'll be a bit of a surprise.

This one takes the cake though. A lady had come in, saying that all of her chicks died. She had bought 6 chicks from us about a week earlier. Went through the standard questions, "Did you have a brooder light, were they in an enclosed area, fresh water available" etc etc. Finally got to the golden question. What was she feeding them. "Grit". She had fed her baby chicks rocks, and was surprised that they hadn't survived.

So, I worked for tsc for several months, and you would not believe some of the stuff that people thought.

There were the obvious people who thought that you need a rooster for eggs, people who didn't realize you needed a brooder light/hen. There were a few people who said they "had been raising chickens for years, and just toss 'em outside and they do fine". Then there were the stranger ones. One lady fed her chickens straight cracked corn for, oh, maybe about 4 months because she read an article online saying that her laying chickens didn't need layer feed in the winter because "it was bad for chickens to lay eggs in winter". We had an employee who didn't own chickens, and he was trying to tell the sex of chicks by lifting them by their heads, in front of customers. We got some Easter eggers pullets in once, and they were all varied colors. One employee saw the yellow chicks, and was "absolutely sure" as he could "tell by the wings" that they were Cornish rocks in the wrong pen, and tossed them in with the crosses. Not only were they half the size, but they were a different shade of yellow. As it turned out, we were able to find all but one of the ones swapped, so someone got an EE instead of a Cornish cross. Bet that'll be a bit of a surprise.

This one takes the cake though. A lady had come in, saying that all of her chicks died. She had bought 6 chicks from us about a week earlier. Went through the standard questions, "Did you have a brooder light, were they in an enclosed area, fresh water available" etc etc. Finally got to the golden question. What was she feeding them. "Grit". She had fed her baby chicks rocks, and was surprised that they hadn't survived.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, you would think employees would be smarter! Lol I could see customers but you would think employees would be required to know what they're doing somewhat lol

And those poor little chicks :(

Although tbh, didn't somebody sell her chick feed and supplies when she bought them?

Not saying it's anyone's fault, that lady is clearly just an idiot, but in the future, it might help to be SURE customers have or buy chick food and supplies.

Most of these stories are about people shocked about eating your own chickens; but for me, it's usually the other way around. The conversation usually goes like:

"Aw, what cute baby chickies!"
"Actually they're more than a year old. These are silkies."
"Oh. So when will you eat them?"
"Never! These are pets." (I have no problem with people raising and eating chickens, mine are just pets)
"Oh. OK. So will you eat them when they can't lay?"
"No."
"Aren't you gonna at least kill and eat the roosters?"
"No."
"What about the fatter hens?"
"No."
"So.. do they lay a ton of eggs?"
"Actually they're pretty bad layers."
"OK... so when will you eat them?"
They don't get that they are really just pets!

Last edited:
Most of these stories are about people shocked about eating your own chickens; but for me, it's usually the other way around. The conversation usually goes like:

"Aw, what cute baby chickies!"
"Actually they're more than a year old. These are silkies."
"Oh. So when will you eat them?"
"Never! These are pets." (I have no problem with people raising and eating chickens, mine are just pets)
"Oh. OK. So will you eat them when they can't lay?"
"No."
"Aren't you gonna at least kill and eat the roosters?"
"No."
"What about the fatter hens?"
"No."
"So.. do they lay a ton of eggs?"
"Actually they're pretty bad layers."
"OK... so when will you eat them?"
They don't get that they are really just pets!

Wow what the heck...

Maybe in certain areas there's more farmer or older folks who just think chickens are working animals and do exactly what they asked about and therefore don't understand the concept of pet birds????

Wow what the heck...

Maybe in certain areas there's more farmer or older folks who just think chickens are working animals and do exactly what they asked about and therefore don't understand the concept of pet birds????
Maybe... but these are usually just friends who don't have chickens. I wish I could move to the country, but I'm stuck here in the suburbs. It's so hard to find other experienced chicken owners!

Oh, those poor little babies! That just breaks my heart!

Wow, you would think employees would be smarter! Lol I could see customers but you would think employees would be required to know what they're doing somewhat lol

And those poor little chicks
sad.png

Although tbh, didn't somebody sell her chick feed and supplies when she bought them?

Not saying it's anyone's fault, that lady is clearly just an idiot, but in the future, it might help to be SURE customers have or buy chick food and supplies.
Honestly, some of these employees knew less about chickens than most of our customers. One time, we got in a bunch of Assorted Bantams, which could literally be nearly any breed, or mix of breeds, and someone was trying to sell them as Bantam Easter Eggers to a customer, because they looked similar to the EEs we had a few weeks ago (They most certainly did not look the same). I've thought alot about how that could've happened, but there are generally only a few ways it could've. The first- Customer didn't ask about anything, and due to the management at the time, and how "we were spending too much time with each single customer" noone managed to correct her. This shouldve been remedied by the cashiers, as each time chicks were bought, we had to give out a general care sheet (Strictly enforced), that the customer must notve looked at. This is probably the most likely answer to what happened.
The second- Customer: "So, this is what I need" *Pointing at grit*. Employee: *Sees customer pointing in general direction of chick feed, as the grit and chick feed were right next to eachother* "Yup, good to go".

Honestly, some of these employees knew less about chickens than most of our customers. One time, we got in a bunch of Assorted Bantams, which could literally be nearly any breed, or mix of breeds, and someone was trying to sell them as Bantam Easter Eggers to a customer, because they looked similar to the EEs we had a few weeks ago (They most certainly did not look the same). I've thought alot about how that could've happened, but there are generally only a few ways it could've. The first- Customer didn't ask about anything, and due to the management at the time, and how "we were spending too much time with each single customer" noone managed to correct her. This shouldve been remedied by the cashiers, as each time chicks were bought, we had to give out a general care sheet (Strictly enforced), that the customer must notve looked at. This is probably the most likely answer to what happened.
The second- Customer: "So, this is what I need" *Pointing at grit*. Employee: *Sees customer pointing in general direction of chick feed, as the grit and chick feed were right next to eachother* "Yup, good to go".

Oh wow that's horrible :/

Yeah i find most employees at pet stores & TSC, etc. don't really know anything about animals

Back
Top Bottom