Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I have a mother-in-law that is horrified of the idea of living in an area without an HOA. What if your neighbor has a trashy property, or *gasp* paints their house some color you don't like?! So what if they do? I always ask and shake my head. That's their property, that's their right.

I, on the other hand, am horrified that anyone would WANT to live in a HOA. You mean someone else can tell me what to do with my land and property? Hell no. Then you hear these horror stories about HOA's selling your property for 'overdue fees' of about $200 or so.
I own my land, I'll decide what to do with it, thank you kindly.

I, on the other hand, am horrified that anyone would WANT to live in a HOA. You mean someone else can tell me what to do with my land and property? Hell no. Then you hear these horror stories about HOA's selling your property for 'overdue fees' of about $200 or so.
I own my land, I'll decide what to do with it, thank you kindly.

Exactly! So many rules and regulations

I've been getting a bit of flak from my mother-in-law about salmonella. She's reading all sorts of crap about how 'chickens WILL get children and old people sick'.
The guidelines she read are as follows:
Never have chickens in your house, even as babies. (I brood indoors, and my silkies sleep in a ferret cage in the house)
Don't pet them 'too much', or 'too deeply' (whatever the heck that means),
If you must touch them, scrub yourself thoroughly with antibacterial soap (which I don't even use)

The FDA 'recommendations' lately are getting absurd about chickens. As more people get chickens as pets and not as livestock, supposedly more people are getting salmonella. I read one suggestion that said children under 5 should NEVER touch a chicken... Also, NEVER EVER, FOR ANY REASON, GOOD GOD NEVER KISS A CHICKEN. Good luck keeping my 2 year old from hugging and kissing her favorite creatures...

The only good thing they said was 'don't wash eggs in running water', which is something that my MIL used to do with any 'country' eggs, even if they looked clean...

I saw something recently about how the increase in backyard chickens is bringing back salmonella too, I didn't read the article but thought that's absurd lol

Also I heard they were making the antibacterial etc soaps illegal because they found no difference in cleaning power or germ killing or whatever

Although all that said, I must admit that I wash my hands every time I go out there, I even wash them after touching eggs, etc., everything. I wash them way too much actually haha but yeah, I do wash them. A lot of that is just OCD but I also think it's gross not to lol but that's just for me aha

And the no kissing is the one thing I do strictly follow.... even though I would love to kiss mine. I heard they have it on their feathers? Idk.

But I'm probably somewhat sickly atm (maybe cause i eat absolutely terribly?) And obsessive about the handwashing so I probably actually would be one to get sick trying that lol

Oh and I wash my eggs.... :oops:s why does it say not to?

I only really do it if they have a lot of poop on them though or if we're giving them away. And I do a quick rinse and wipe with a paper towel and another quick rinse.

I heard that the water has to be hotter than the egg so that the inside expands and doesn't allow room for germs to get in? And tbat colder than the egg will cause it to contract which allows germs through the membrane. So I only wash in warm or hot water.

But I never heard of not washing at all?

I don't douse them under the faucet though, just a quick rinse and wipe with wet paper towel, one more quick rinse to get any remnants off

:lau I once happened to bring up the subject of chickens with a nice man at our church, and he perked up, saying how much he wanted to get chickens though it was clear he has no clue whatsoever. These are his words; " I want to get the kind of chickens that crow. Then I found out only the roosters do that."

um.........

I wash after coming inside from dealing with the chickens. I wash after petting the dogs as well. I know where the dogs have been and can feel and smell the dust and marsh water on me from them.

Come inside from working outside and you wash. My farming grandmother instilled that into me.

Probably the issue is just people's bad hand washing habits and chickens are just making it more visible. From observation in public restrooms I can say most people are disgusting. After hearing someone leave a stall and turn the water on for 5 seconds, I have yelled from my stall "Hey typhoid Mary, wash your **** hands." That actually does work if there are quite a few people in there. Gets everyone to truly wash for a bit because now everyone is paying attention.

Takeaway with poultry and their dust bathing habits, which could have poop in it, is you don't want it in your mouth. I don't kiss them. A couple like to snuggle under my chin and nap.

I've been getting a bit of flak from my mother-in-law about salmonella. She's reading all sorts of crap about how 'chickens WILL get children and old people sick'.
The guidelines she read are as follows:
Never have chickens in your house, even as babies. (I brood indoors, and my silkies sleep in a ferret cage in the house)
Don't pet them 'too much', or 'too deeply' (whatever the heck that means),
If you must touch them, scrub yourself thoroughly with antibacterial soap (which I don't even use)

The FDA 'recommendations' lately are getting absurd about chickens. As more people get chickens as pets and not as livestock, supposedly more people are getting salmonella. I read one suggestion that said children under 5 should NEVER touch a chicken... Also, NEVER EVER, FOR ANY REASON, GOOD GOD NEVER KISS A CHICKEN. Good luck keeping my 2 year old from hugging and kissing her favorite creatures...

The only good thing they said was 'don't wash eggs in running water', which is something that my MIL used to do with any 'country' eggs, even if they looked clean...
Have these people writing this ever stood in a bathroom and watched how many people do not wash their hands when they visit the washroom. Whether you go or not, if you touch the handle to get out and someone else has touched it...there's your contamination. And then these people who don't wash their hands handle food. Ugh.

From WebMD...first 2 points are washing hands/contaminating food. Some pets themselves can infect. Oh boy.

• Food may be contaminated during food processing or food handling.
  • Food may become contaminated by the unwashed hands of an infected food handler. A frequent cause is a food handler who does not wash his or her hands with soap after using the bathroom.
  • Salmonella may also be found in the feces of some pets, especially those with diarrhea. You can become infected if you do not wash your hands after contact with these feces.
  • Reptiles, baby chicks and ducklings, and small rodents such as hamsters are particularly likely to carry Salmonella. You should always wash your hands immediately after handling one of these animals, even if the animal is healthy. Adults should also be careful that children wash their hands after handling reptiles, pet turtles, baby chicks or ducklings, or small rodents.

The source of above mention: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/tc/salmonellosis-topic-overview#1

I wash after coming inside from dealing with the chickens. I wash after petting the dogs as well. I know where the dogs have been and can feel and smell the dust and marsh water on me from them.

Come inside from working outside and you wash. My farming grandmother instilled that into me.

Probably the issue is just people's bad hand washing habits and chickens are just making it more visible. From observation in public restrooms I can say most people are disgusting. After hearing someone leave a stall and turn the water on for 5 seconds, I have yelled from my stall "Hey typhoid Mary, wash your **** hands." That actually does work if there are quite a few people in there. Gets everyone to truly wash for a bit because now everyone is paying attention.

Takeaway with poultry and their dust bathing habits, which could have poop in it, is you don't want it in your mouth. I don't kiss them. A couple like to snuggle under my chin and nap.
Hey...you beat me too it! ;) :lau

Same here...you wash after being outside, going to the bathroom and other bodily functions (blowing noses), handling food stuffs especially raw meats etc and anything that's come in contact with raw meats. People cross contaminate their food with the BBQ utensils all the time. :sick I've got dedicated utensils that I change out if cooking for extended time. I don't know how people aren't sicker than they are with the things they do.

Back
Top Bottom