Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: My kids still get upset when we lose a chick, but they are getting better about it. My daughter still won't let me actually kill any of our birds, but she's not opposed to eating them once the job is done. I'm just not allowed to tell her which bird we are eating
roll.png
She's only 9 tho, so she gets attached REALLY easily. She DID tell me the other day that she would not mind Wellie becoming diner at all. He pecks her constantly & pulls everyone's tail feathers out so she really doesn't like him...LOL He may end up becoming my 1st attempt at processing 1 myself. He's on MY poop list right now too
rant.gif

Last edited:
My kids still get upset when we lose a chick, but they are getting better about it. My daughter still won't let me actually kill any of our birds, but she's not opposed to eating them once the job is done. I'm just not allowed to tell her which bird we are eating :rolleyes:  She's only 9 tho, so she gets attached REALLY easily. She DID tell me the other day that she would not mind Wellie becoming diner at all. He pecks her constantly & pulls everyone's tail feathers out so she really doesn't like him...LOL He may end up becoming my 1st attempt at processing 1 myself. He's on MY poop list right now too :rant
See - that roo would be easier to let go of.

I was always sensitive. It's just who I am. I'm not ashamed of it, but if I am going to raise poultry full time like I am right now, I have to at least lessen the sadness.

Look at the bright side ... at least you're not callous about having to kill something. Says a lot about a person when they can do what's necessary without enjoying it.
All of you guys are very encouraging. It's nice to know that my feelings are normal, and not a bad thing :)

The friends that processed them don't like to do it either. They said it was just as hard as doing their own birds. She said there is always mental preparation needed. She said the pullets totally made it worth it though. :)

aoxa... my better half calls it the Bambi Syndrome... when I won't kill a deer... and he thinks I'm weird bc once it's dispatched, I can gut, skin and butcher without hesitation. I was an anatomy major and dissected soooooo many creatures, but I cannot kill an animal...even still, my philosophy has always been "you kill it, you eat it", so, it can be a very spiritual event for me to eat our harvested meat. I'm thankful for their sacrifice to ease my burdens, I savor each bite, and let nothing go to waste. It is always sad for me too, be it from hunting or farm processing, but knowing how we and our friends manage our hunts, herds and flocks... makes all the difference. Plus, the meat is phenomenal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom