Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the eggs she buys pasteurized or does she just think they are? Ask her how she knows the eggs she buys are pasteurized. If they are, it will say so on the label. There are pasteurized eggs available, but the vast majority of the eggs in the market are not.

Really? I thought she must have just confused it with milk lol. Isn't pasturising done by heating? How do they not cook or curdle? Think I'd rather regular eggs thanks.

Someone asked me if my eggs were safe. Safe? Uh yes, have you seen a chicken in those close quarters and filth? People are clueless!

Someone asked me if my eggs were safe.  Safe?  Uh yes, have you seen a chicken in those close quarters and filth?  People are clueless!

Safe from what? Am I missing something with this common theme of eggs being pasteurized or safe? Do people get food poisoning from eggs or something? Never heard of that.

Really? I thought she must have just confused it with milk lol. Isn't pasturising done by heating? How do they not cook or curdle? Think I'd rather regular eggs thanks.
Yes, they do heat them, but there is a way to heat them to 140* without causing them to "cook" generally it is done under a different pressure then normal pressure (but I cant remember if it is above or below normal...)
Safe from what? Am I missing something with this common theme of eggs being pasteurized or safe? Do people get food poisoning from eggs or something? Never heard of that.
Eggs can POTENTIALLY contain salmonella, which is the most common worry. This process kills pretty much all of the bacteria, which renders them safe to be used in an uncooked/undercooked manner (such as making mayonnaise, uncooked cookie dough, or even eggs that are sunny side up). However most eggs arent pasteurized (and the egg itself will be marked if it is).

So yeah, You have probably heard of food poisoning from eggs, (bad potato salad anyone?) however it is fairly rare, and unless your feeding immune compromised people, there are simple things, such as refrigeration that might make the need for pasturization a non-issue.

But I believe it has been proven that backyard flocks generally have LESS salmonella comtamination then commercial flocks.

Just the facts... LOL, But I still chose my backyard eggs.

Pasteurized eggs are of importance to restaurants and other commercial eateries if they are serving food products to the public containing raw eggs. Like Ceasar salad dressing and eggnogs. Otherwise, there is really no reason for them. Food poisoning from potato salad is not from contaminated eggs but from the salad being left out of refrigeration too long.

I have one from today...

My neighbor came out and was looking at all the chickens. She doesnt have any chickens, so I was half expecting her to complain about crowing when they get older... Instead I get this gem.

Her: "Wait, do you keep them all together in one house??? When are you going to seperate them and give them their own house? Aren't they going to fight?"

Me: "Yes, they are going to all live together in the coop. I might build a second building so I can seperate a few if I have problems, but in general they should be ok."

She just rolled her eyes and said... "Oh well, you are the one who will have dead chickens."

I was dumb founded what she was so worried about until after she left... I realize she has to think that ALL chickens are like the fighting roosters that live down the road and cant be turned loose together. Seriously? It is sad if that is the only way she knows about chickens.

Yes, they do heat them, but there is a way to heat them to 140* without causing them to "cook" generally it is done under a different pressure then normal pressure (but I cant remember if it is above or below normal...)
Eggs can POTENTIALLY contain salmonella, which is the most common worry. This process kills pretty much all of the bacteria, which renders them safe to be used in an uncooked/undercooked manner (such as making mayonnaise, uncooked cookie dough, or even eggs that are sunny side up). However most eggs arent pasteurized (and the egg itself will be marked if it is).

So yeah, You have probably heard of food poisoning from eggs, (bad potato salad anyone?) however it is fairly rare, and unless your feeding immune compromised people, there are simple things, such as refrigeration that might make the need for pasturization a non-issue.

But I believe it has been proven that backyard flocks generally have LESS salmonella comtamination then commercial flocks.

Everything I have read says that salmonella comes from chickens eating contaminated food.....

I yelled over for my neighbor, who was working in her yard, to come see the chickens who had given her the eggs for her cheesecake. I had rigged up a fenced-in area so they could turn my garden beds under before planting, so they were very visible for once. She walked over and exclaimed, "Goodness, I didn't know chickens had anything but WHITE feathers!"

My friend said the same thing when she came to see my hens a few months ago.

"Wow, I was expecting them all to be white!"

LOL

Eggs can POTENTIALLY contain salmonella, which is the most common worry. This process kills pretty much all of the bacteria, which renders them safe to be used in an uncooked/undercooked manner (such as making mayonnaise, uncooked cookie dough, or even eggs that are sunny side up).  However most eggs arent pasteurized (and the egg itself will be marked if it is).

Everything I have read says that salmonella comes from chickens eating contaminated food.....
Read it again...some chickens carry
salmonella inside them, and some don't...some of the chickens that carry it within them pass it to their eggs, but not every chicken that has salmonella will pass it to the eggs. It's a common bacteria inside many animals...it is killed by proper cooking...so keep your hands washed and wash your cutting board, and cook eggs and meat thoroughly and you shouldn't have an issue. It is estimated that only 1 in 20000 eggs has salmonella...I've also seen that it is estimated 1 in 10000 so it is either 1 or 2 out of 20000 eggs that contain salmonella...they don't seem to be sure. But if you cook your eggs til the whites are firm then you won't have to worry about it...

Last edited:
Reading through this thread, I've noticed there seems to be a trend of "people who think you need a rooster to get eggs" combined with "and they grew up ON A FARM!" which actually kinda makes sense... when on a farm would you ever NOT have a rooster as part of your flock? It's such a given thing, that "real" old-time farm people probably never saw hens living without a rooster. It's only us small-time back-yarders, folks like me with my 2 or 4 or 5 hens but no roosters because I'm living *right* downtown, that would even think about having hens with NO rooster. So, it's really not intuitive farm-sense that hens can do their thing without a man in their lives.

So, my dad did ask about the rooster thing, very politely ('I just don't understand how they're laying eggs without a rooster'), and I used the whole human-female-ovulation comparison (well, dad, I ovulate every month since I was 15, regardless of what was going on with my love life, and that's exactly what the chickens are doing...) when I realized he was turning kinda green. Oops.
gig.gif
Not sure if it was the idea of his daughter ovulating, or the idea that his favorite breakfast is chicken ovulations, but... yeah.

ETA: I did get one "chickens smell so nasty" from a coworker, who's grandmother kept them. I pointed out that cats' litter boxes smell just awful when you don't clean them often enough, and there's a huge difference between a household with 1-2 cats, and one with 9.

I also got that weird vibe from my mother-in-law who associated growing your own with being too poor to buy store-bought. I just explained that these were very pricey, heritage birds and it was kind of a boutique hobby in these parts, which was true. She accepted that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom