Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a (pretty young) guy ask me the other day, "if you hold 'em up close to your face, will they peck your eyes out?"
I feel like a know quite a bit about chickens....thanks to BYC, but some questions aren't even worth a response!
I told him I would let him try that one for himself!

I think you are correct on Sisco for the supplier for restaraunts. because cisco is into computers and computer type support....
Sysco is a supplier for restaraunts not anything to do with Cisco the computer company. They do not make food. They only supply materials like cups, straws and food. They are a middle man.
Why would anyone think they are the same company?
My husband used to deliver supplies for them. He swore off small mom and pop food places after that. Not because of sysco, It was because the back rooms of many places were disgusting.

Last edited:
Quote:
One of the earlier posters stated cisco was supplying a restaurant not sysco, I stated that for clarification. By the way I never said Sysco was a producer, I know they are simply a supplier. Someone reading the posts may not know the difference and I wanted simply to achnowlwedge there where 2 companies with similar names but where very different lines of work.

Now I think home produced eggs and chickens are better than store bought.. But eggs from the store are "not loaded with chemicals and antibiotics". And I have never found a rat hair, or any hair, on any of the eggs I have ever purchased. And I wouldn't say my home produced eggs always have zero fecal matter, either. Most are very clean, but if an eggs gets soiled, I am not going to discard it for that reason.

I wasn't talking about eggs, per se. I was talking about "only eating foods that come from the grocery store": factory produced, processed, edible food-like products which comprise 80 - 90% of the food sold there. The USDA or FDA or both, have determined that a certain amount of fecal matter and rat hairs, etc., are acceptable. Therefore, most of the food from the grocery stores fall under these guidelines. So, why would one prefer that over food produced at home, under your own standards and your own control?

Last edited:
Pasteurized eggs are of importance to restaurants and other commercial eateries if they are serving food products to the public containing raw eggs. Like Ceasar salad dressing and eggnogs. Otherwise, there is really no reason for them. Food poisoning from potato salad is not from contaminated eggs but from the salad being left out of refrigeration too long.

The fear of salads (such as potato, or tuna) going bad from being left out was because of the raw eggs in the mayonnaise. Nowadays, with the processed mayo, it's not as much of a problem.

I told my daughter that when my ee's start laying eggs I wanted to bring her some. She told me that she would not eat my eggs! That she only eats pasteurized eggs and only eats stuff from the grocery store!
UGH!!!
The only reason to use pasteurized eggs is if she's eating them raw. Even then, your eggs are very safe. Maybe not 100%, but safer than store bought.

I dont have much knowledge in this area but I do know that the modern casing sometimes feel like pieces of sticky plastic film. It is icky. I usually peel it off.
The casing you're talking about is made from callogen. I've seen the casings at the local farm supply store, especially during deer season because so many of their customers make their own deer sausage.

The fear of salads (such as potato, or tuna) going bad from being left out was because of the raw eggs in the mayonnaise. Nowadays, with the processed mayo, it's not as much of a problem.
If done right, homemade mayo isn't that much a problem till it's left out a couple hours in warm weather. The acid from lemon juice slows down bacteria growth somewhat. I still don't recommend leaving it out though. If the mayo has started to dry out or yellow on the outside, whether it's safe or not, it's not good to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom