Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't give my dad a sign, but I did get him a drink holder that says "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
lau.gif
Sad thing is he keeps asking why I got him that and has no idea *sigh*

I had my first experience selling at a farmer's market a few weeks ago. I brought some heritage roos and some cornish cross. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong with the cornish cross. "Why don't they have any feathers?" I kept telling them that they were meat birds and are bred to be easy to pluck. That really grossed them out cause they would all give me a grossed out look and just walk away. I kept thinking, "Are you serious!!? How disconnected from your food are you? Don't you realize that your food was at one point ALIVE!!?"

I even had one person ask me what color eggs they lay so I told them "brown" and they told me that they don't eat brown eggs and walked away. I mean seriously, this is a FARMER'S MARKET. I would expect these comments if I was trying to sell at a city park or something but not at a farmer's market in a small country town. Next time I am not going with live birds. I will bring cooked chicken as free samples and take orders for meat birds. I don't think people can eat anything that has a face anymore.

"One cries because one is sad. I cry because others are stupid and that makes me sad." Sheldon Cooper

The big bang theory has some good lines sometimes, I just want to find a girl who will sing soft kitty to me when I am sick and I'll be set for life....

I learned about the Salmonella thing from Alton Brown, in fact he is why I have chickens in the first place. I watched a 'Good Eats' episode about eggs and he explained how it was better for you to eat non store bought eggs (never went in to much into pasture raised), how you are more likely to get Salmonella from them and how badly the chickens at processing facilities are treated. If it wasn't for that episode I might never have started doing research or tasted my first pasture raised egg.

Can you tell me where I can find this video?

OT: the roasted store-bought chooks you can buy here now, in QLD, that aren't freerange, are infected with something that fills their bags as round as balloons with gas; they smell a bit weird, and even after you re-cook them they reinfect while still warm with the same gaseous bug or whatever it is. Also they centrifuge chlorinated water though the raw chook's veins to prevent them going off; the dogs wouldn't eat them before they did that, and they certainly won't eat them afterward either.

On Topic: I don't consider these people dumb, just ignorant, and sometimes the values systems we adopt with the best of logic and intention blinds us to reality.

'You need a rooster to get eggs.' That one's very common; I blame a lack of appropriate education. People should know more about their food, for their own good.

'You can't eat a male once he's mated for the first time, that's it, instantly he's as tough as leather, it does something to them.' That one from an show-quality Silkie breeder.

On that note, I always made sure my culler-boys had an excellent 'social' life, because happy meat is the best meat.

OT: the roasted store-bought chooks you can buy here now, in QLD, that aren't freerange, are infected with something that fills their bags as round as balloons with gas; they smell a bit weird, and even after you re-cook them they reinfect while still warm with the same gaseous bug or whatever it is. Also they centrifuge chlorinated water though the raw chook's veins to prevent them going off; the dogs wouldn't eat them before they did that, and they certainly won't eat them afterward either.

On Topic: I don't consider these people dumb, just ignorant, and sometimes the values systems we adopt with the best of logic and intention blinds us to reality.

'You need a rooster to get eggs.' That one's very common; I blame a lack of appropriate education. People should know more about their food, for their own good.

'You can't eat a male once he's mated for the first time, that's it, instantly he's as tough as leather, it does something to them.' That one from an show-quality Silkie breeder.

On that note, I always made sure my culler-boys had an excellent 'social' life, because happy meat is the best meat.
The rooster mating thing sounds like a lot of the human old wives tales about sex and pregnancy, Lots of male bovine organic fertilizer....

I never get over how disconnected people are. I offered some friends a few meat birds if they would come help process them. One friend was excited and said she thought it would be an important learning experience. The other gave me a nasty look and said" Any chicken I eat comes in clean styrofoam and plastic. I don't eat things that had a face." They have both heard my rants about the importance of being connected to your food and the ethics of large production farms. The one refusing the food is very politically Liberal. Even intelligent educated individuals are wilfully ignorant these days.

It has occurred to me that people have forgotten that, as living things, we eat to sustain energy and life, and to repair and/or replace dead or damaged cells. Eating is required to sustain life. We experience hunger to remind us to eat so we don't expire. Food tastes either good or bad to help us figure out what is good for us to eat, and what to avoid.

Today, however, people think that relieving the symptom ... hunger ... is the whole reason for eating. If you're hungry, pop something quick, easy, filling, and CHEAP into your mouth to relieve the feeling. Manufacturers have played on taste to encourage us to buy their products for profit.

So, being disconnected from where food comes is not the only disconnection we suffer in this culture. The function of food has been lost and replaced with instant gratification of comfort or instant relief from discomfort. That can pretty much be said about a lot of what's going on in today's culture. For example, I was taught that the end does NOT justify the means. Character and integrity counted a lot. But, I see too little of that today. "As long as I get what I want, who cares how I had to go about it?" seems to be the prevailing attitude. Given this, why should a total disconnect from sustenance be surprising?

7 - "Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Last edited:
I recently had someone ask me if I put food coloring in my chicken's water to make them lay the green eggs!! bahahaha
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom