Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmm. Maybe because we live here? A friend of mine whose father was in the Air Force lived in Guam for a while. He had to learn the history of Guam while he was in school there. Makes sense to me.

Yeah, but they were pretty insane on the details.

it's true we didn't learn the state names until highschool
hmm.png

WHAT? We had to learn the states and capitals in alphabetic order in elementary school. I guess growing up in the dark ages had its advantages. We had to memorize our addition/subtraction/multiplication tables, too. Now, they use their fingers or make marks on a piece of paper.

I need to go lie down now. My head hurts.

WHAT? We had to learn the states and capitals in alphabetic order in elementary school. I guess growing up in the dark ages had its advantages. We had to memorize our addition/subtraction/multiplication tables, too. Now, they use their fingers or make marks on a piece of paper.

I need to go lie down now. My head hurts.
i always thought it was funny we learned the names of the first settlements before learning the names of the states. i mean i knew alot of state names because i have a very large spread out family but we didn't formally learn them in school till my freshman year
hmm.png

But, we LIVE here and pay taxes, and vote for idiots to go to DC. Quick! Tell me what state it's in without looking it up.

I don't think a little kid needs to know all 50 states off the top of their head.

What state D.C. is in? Maryland?

No, I did not look that answer up. I already knew it.

I don't think a little kid needs to know all 50 states off the top of their head.

What state D.C. is in? Maryland?

It was a trick question. The District of Columbia.(DC) is a district (not a city within a state) on the Potomac River that was carved out of a part of VA and MD. It is served by 3 airports: Reagan National in the city, Dulles in VA, and BWI in MD. Since this is where our elected officials and our money go, it seems reasonable that, at the very least, we know where it is. For children, learning the states is purely a matter of memorization, which is done with relative ease when very young.. As we develop and enter high school, we need to be focusing on learning/understanding more abstract concepts. This is an age appropriate task for a teenager, but not for a young child, just as memorization is a waste of precious learning time later in our cognitive development. Additionally, learning that the country is made up of various states helps develop the concept of there being places other than "right here", that the world is a vast and varied place. When my children were in Montessori preschool, they learned about different countries: France, China, Italy. At home, we had subscriptions to National Geographic and Gourmet magazines which my kids looked at with fascination. A friend would paste the beautiful maps in Nat Geo on the slanted ceilings above her kids' beds which they would stare at while relaxing on the bed ... learning through osmosis. Kids exposed in this way grow up having a broader understanding of the world around them.

As a side note, I think it serves one well when they can listen to or read the news and have an understanding of where those places in the news are. Also, it's nice to be able to have a conversation with someone and not walk away feeling like an idiot. Remember, knowledge is power, you can read for free, and time spent learning is never wasted. How could anyone find fault with the idea of learning at any age?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom