Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have a good recipe for bulk sage/pepper sausage?

we have similar backgrounds, nothing better than homemade pickled pigs feet! Hormel isn't even close.
lau.gif

Here's my breakfast sausage recipe. You can adjust the herbs and spices to your liking. To make it a sage sausage, you would add more sage. http://www.siloutdoors.com/showthread.php?13095-Indiana-Farm-Sausage

Quote: thank you, I will give this a try! unfortunalty for me a lot of the things I have mentioned are questions I wish I would have asked when I could. grandpa made great head cheese, pickled pigs feet, and smoked items. dad was good at smoking, but I never asked for recipes. of course on both of their sage sausages they never measured anything. I do remember them spreading the meat out and covering it with sage an pepper until you could just see the sausage.

my wife has a cookbook that has been handed down for generations. something like searchlight cookbook, it has been well used and added to. it has instructions and temperatures on smoking with a smokehouse, and a lot of homeopathic remedies. some things are long outdated but its interesting to read. o0 did I just admit to being a guy who reads cookbooks?

thank you, I will give this a try!  unfortunalty for me a lot of the things I have mentioned are questions I wish I would have asked when I could.  grandpa made great head cheese, pickled pigs feet, and smoked items. dad was good at smoking, but I never asked for recipes.  of course on both of their sage sausages they never measured anything. I do remember them spreading the meat out and covering it with sage an pepper until you could just see the sausage. 

my wife has a cookbook that has been handed down for generations. something like searchlight cookbook, it has been well used and added to.  it has instructions and temperatures on smoking with a smokehouse, and a lot of homeopathic remedies. some things are long outdated but its interesting to read.  o0 did I just admit to being a guy who reads cookbooks?

:lol: It's ok. My hubby also reads certain cookbooks. Usually ones that involve cooking with beer. Lmbo

thank you, I will give this a try! unfortunalty for me a lot of the things I have mentioned are questions I wish I would have asked when I could. grandpa made great head cheese, pickled pigs feet, and smoked items. dad was good at smoking, but I never asked for recipes. of course on both of their sage sausages they never measured anything. I do remember them spreading the meat out and covering it with sage an pepper until you could just see the sausage.

my wife has a cookbook that has been handed down for generations. something like searchlight cookbook, it has been well used and added to. it has instructions and temperatures on smoking with a smokehouse, and a lot of homeopathic remedies. some things are long outdated but its interesting to read. o0 did I just admit to being a guy who reads cookbooks?
It may not have helped you a whole lot if you had asked for recipes. A lot of people of previous generations never used them. My grandmother made wonderful apple butter. I asked her for the recipe. Here it is verbatim. "Peel the apples and cut them up. Put them in a pot. Add sugar and spices as you like it and cook it 'til it's done."

That's how I make apple butter! There are a lot of dishes I make that I really can only show how to do it. I make it the same as Mom and Grandma taught me.

It may not have helped you a whole lot if you had asked for recipes. A lot of people of previous generations never used them. My grandmother made wonderful apple butter. I asked her for the recipe. Here it is verbatim. "Peel the apples and cut them up. Put them in a pot. Add sugar and spices as you like it and cook it 'til it's done."

That's how I make apple butter! There are a lot of dishes I make that I really can only show how to do it. I make it the same as Mom and Grandma taught me.

Instructions like that work for certain recipes. Grandma likely measured the flour and Corn Meal for Corn Bread. Baking is more precise.

My Mom's Apple Pie recipe is similar to the Apple Sauce Recipe. She taught me to adjust the sugar and flour to match the sweetness and Liquid content of the Apples. The problem is that you have to make a lot of Apple Pies to figure it all out. The problem being an ever increasing waist line....
th.gif

When I was new to chickens we had an Isa Brown die unexpectedly. A friend said "I hear they sometimes gets growths and tumors. Those rescue birds have a hard life and sometimes just give up"

I thought we had better have a look at the other three we had. The wife held them one at a time, while I conducted a very in experienced inspection. We were aghast to find each one had a massive bulge on it's chest. We thought we were on the verge of loosing them all.

Dr. G.Oogle set us straight, that afternoon we learned about crops, and how chickens digestive systems work.

Feel free to laugh, we did.

Last edited:
Can't laugh... been there done that bought the crop bra *snickers* We called a friend of mine over, all upset, thinking the bird had a tumor. Kept the kids away in case we had to deal with the situation.... Friend gave us a VERY wierd look and explained it all to us.
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom