Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the bright side ... at least you're not callous about having to kill something. Says a lot about a person when they can do what's necessary without enjoying it.

one does not need to take joy and jump up and down about it but you could go in and thank them and be at ease and rest knowing they had a good life and a dignified end to there life and that might give one some pride and in reverence that you helped them live a good life. I am sure there are those whom look forward to butchering because they feel it a sort of honor to be involved with the circle of life and the life cycle of an animal raised for meat, not that they enjoy "the kill" not as I said but somehow being involved in all stages in the life and helping a quick and in a sense a meaning through the animals death it will nurish and continue life a person who gives thanks for that animal and it's sacrafice.

Oh man. The first time I raised quails, we hatched them from eggs we found outside, 14 hatched. All but 3 died. It was extremely sad because I had them for about a week in my room where I spent a lot of time watching them. After about a week, I found one dead when I woke up and another that didn't look so good. I quarantined the sick chick and cleaned everything. But about an hour later another died. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. No matter what I did, I was having one die about every 2-3 hours. It was really nerve wracking to see them die and not be able to do anything about it.

Eventually they stopped dying. But it was such a traumatizing event that I still hate thinking about it (it's been over a year). I doubt I'll ever raise quail again.

Look at the bright side ... at least you're not callous about having to kill something. Says a lot about a person when they can do what's necessary without enjoying it.

one does not need to take joy and jump up and down about it but you could go in and thank them and be at ease and rest knowing they had a good life and a dignified end to there life and that might give one some pride and in reverence that you helped them live a good life. I am sure there are those whom look forward to butchering because they feel it a sort of honor to be involved with the circle of life and the life cycle of an animal raised for meat, not that they enjoy "the kill" not as I said but somehow being involved in all stages in the life and helping a quick and in a sense a meaning through the animals death it will nurish and continue life a person who gives thanks for that animal and it's sacrafice.

I always must prepare mentally and hold, calm, and thank each one. I suppose if I ever did more than a few at a time I might have to speed things up but I don't ever plan to do that. I really think anyone who isn't bothered by ending a life has a mental issue. No normal person enjoys such a thing. I understand what you're saying about being honored to be part of the cycle of life, I'm not speaking of that sort of "looking forward" to the process, but rather someone who is not in the least bothered by killing something and maybe even enjoying it.

you mean like a showgirl??, couldnt find a sizzled one
(not my pic)
5ff0cfba_skowgirlpic2011006.jpeg

Showed this to my hubby and son.... they said, "It looks like a zombie chicken! brains... ba-gock!"

Naw ... nobody said that ... *did* they?

Do people go to school? Are they conscious in class? Surely, they heard a few things in elementary school, like cows eat grass and chew their cud (are ruminators, for those of us who actually listened); chickens lay eggs; cows are large animals, not the size of dogs? Didn't they see books about farm animals, or sing Old MacDonald Had a Farm? How about Sesame Street ... did they ever watch that?

Or, did Scotty beam some of them down from the Planet Ork? nanu nanu

Sheesh.

Naw, It's more like chickens are Doctor Who's TARDIS--they're bigger on the inside.
wink.png

she musta never seen the inside of a commercial egg laying facility i hunted on adjacent property next to a huge facility here last weekend and they cleaned one of their hundreds of buildings out lets just say 1 bobcat loader and a hr later i could see the mountain arrise out of the woods lol

I just had my first 5 roosters processed by a good friend. I know she does it humanely and quickly, but it does make me sad. I am not sure how to control that emotion. I don't want to feel sad or guilty when eating them. I don't know how to change my feelings. I have not had meat from any other source but locally for years. And then they have to show me pictures on how they raise their chickens. It's just knowing and caring for those birds and then seeing them after processed that makes me feel sad.
I also have had nightmares of me killing my birds since we had them processed. I know I could never do it myself. I am way too sensitive of a person. I will continue to get them processed by my friend - but I hope these feelings fade. I love knowing that they had an awesome life. They would not have been used for breeding, so meat would have been their only purpose.
Someone have advice on how to get over this? Does it get easier?
idunno.gif
I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling sad about killing, even when it is for food.
I don't think you should be thrilled about killing or seeing or even knowing that something is going to die.
Feeling sad means you realize your place in nature, recognize the animal's place in nature, but that you're retaining humanity, love, and respect.
I feel the loss of every bird. Honestly, I don't think it will get easier or better, but I don't want it to either. I consider it a reminder of my proper place, and a lack of desire to end an animals life keeps you balanced-- you certainly won't be killing for fun and you certainly won't be killing more than you need.

I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling sad about killing, even when it is for food. 
I don't think you should be thrilled about killing or seeing or even knowing that something is going to die. 
Feeling sad means you realize your place in nature, recognize the animal's place in nature, but that you're retaining humanity, love, and respect. 
I feel the loss of every bird. Honestly, I don't think it will get easier or better, but I don't want it to either. I consider it a reminder of my proper place, and a lack of desire to end an animals life keeps you balanced-- you certainly won't be killing for fun and you certainly won't be killing more than you need.
Well my mother in law ruined the first bird by flash cooking it from frozen. I cried. I thought it was such a waste of a life. Didn't cry until then. I was very upset about the wasted bird. It was all rubbery because of how she cooked it. That's how I feel as well - I don't want to ever get over it 100%, but I don't want to cry every time either. I think it's getting close to that time of month :oops:

I've been known to bawl at commercials - I blame my mother. lol We are a very emotional family.

Last edited:
My husband says when we finally get a dozen eggs they'll have cost at least $800.00 :^) But I don't care, I've had that much in laughs since we got them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom