Dumor chick starter/grower

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
How long do i give them this for? I was wondering if i can give it to them till they’re able to eat layer feed.

Should i manage how much my 3 day old chicks eat? Or do i just let them eat however much they want?

Lots of us feed this until they're ready to lay, and there are similar formulas (purina flockraiser) that people use even for layers, with supplemental calcium at that point.

For the babies, I wouldn't ration them. (assuming they're NOT cornish X meat birds) .All you can eat, keep the feeder full and clean. And of course watch their butts for pasty butt.

Enjoy your new chicks!

Offer feed for chicks prior to start of lay (assuming we aren't discussing CornishX) ad libitum, meaning free choice, as much as they want to eat.

I do not, personally, recommend that you ever transition to layer feed if you have a typical backyard flock, in typical backyard conditions, with typical backyard management. I recommend instead feeding an all flock/flock raiser type commercial feed with free choice oyster shell on the side, all of their lives. (loosely, an 18-20% protein, 1% calcium feed with fat and fiber in the 3.5%+/- range each). Starter/Grower, for most brands, is very similar in terms of its overall nutritional numbers, and has been substituted by some of us for all flock/flock raiser in times of scarcity over the past year and change.

Be aware that DuMor has a poor reputation on BYC, mostly because its often a near powder (whether from manufacture, storage, or handling) out of the bag, a condition most fix by offering as either a wet mash of oatmeal-like consistency, or as a fermented feed.

Lots of us feed this until they're ready to lay, and there are similar formulas (purina flockraiser) that people use even for layers, with supplemental calcium at that point.

For the babies, I wouldn't ration them. (assuming they're NOT cornish X meat birds) .All you can eat, keep the feeder full and clean. And of course watch their butts for pasty butt.

Enjoy your new chicks!
Alright i was just making sure as i noticed one of them started growing s big ball on it’s neck

Alright i was just making sure as i noticed one of them started growing s big ball on it’s neck
as in, a full crop???

Do they have grit??? or a source on your property for an apprasive to hold in their gizzards and use to grind feed?

Watch the bird closely. Does the "big ball" reduce in size overnight? If not, go to the injury and disease thread, describe what you are seeing and feeling (age, breed, size of ball, feed, hard or soft feel, etc) and wait for an experienced poster like Azygous, Eggcessive, or Overo Mare to weigh in.

What I don't know about chicken injuries and common health conditions would (and does) fill volumes.

as in, a full crop???

Do they have grit??? or a source on your property for an apprasive to hold in their gizzards and use to grind feed?

Watch the bird closely. Does the "big ball" reduce in size overnight? If not, go to the injury and disease thread, describe what you are seeing and feeling (age, breed, size of ball, feed, hard or soft feel, etc) and wait for an experienced poster like Azygous, Eggcessive, or Overo Mare to weigh in.

What I don't know about chicken injuries and common health conditions would (and does) fill volumes.
Not to sure just noticed it earlier today. I have grit but it got humid and not sure if i should still give it to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom