Dumor VS. Layena

ChuckenGirl

Songster
12 Years
Dec 22, 2007
Maryland :)
I'm not sure if these brands are limited to the eastern shore or if they're nationwide but, we just had a tractor supply open in our area(I love it, i've been there 3 times in the past week) and they sell dumor and layena. Normally we would buy layena from the local mill but since dumor was cheaper we bought that. What brand's better? Right now we get one egg a day as opposed to the 5 or 6 we would get, so we wanted to feed them something that would keep them laying. Any ideas?

I prefer layena. I am not sure of the difference in the actual nutritional value between the two. There was a thread on this a while back and a lot of people noted that the poo smelled less using layena rather than dumor and I agree.

I get all my feed from tractor supply too and have used both. I didnt notice a difference that makes me want to pay the extra money. My chickens lay the same amount on either one it seems to me. I have read on various posts that people who feed Dumor have noticed that their chickens poo more and it has a stronger smell but once again I dont really notice the difference. Keep in mind thought that my chickens have been on Dumor most of their lives with on occasional bag of layena from the local (to expensive!) feed store when I was to lazy or buys to drive the 45 mins to TS.

I've used both and will tell you that I prefer the Layena hands down. The chickens lay better and I have never had to add a calcium supplement to their diet while feeding Layena. When I fed the Dumor, the chickens poo smelled TONS worse (people will disagree with that, but it's true) and their shells weren't as hard. I also noticed a decrease in egg production. Just sayin'.

I've always used Dumor and for the past 20 years have had great layers with nice hard shells. I guess I never realized their poo smelled too much! Our TSC is in the process of changing over to Purina products and last time I was in they didn't even offer the Dumor. So guess I'll be changing over. Looking forward to my coops smelling like Roses!
lol.png

When I checked labeling seems they were comparable in ingredients and protein. I don't remember anything jumping out at me.

I like the Layena, so much better than Dumore, I used that years ago, and the smell was bad, adi had to always keep oyster shells available, and my chickens look much healthier on Layena, I would rather pay a couple bucks more and have less smell and and better looking eggs and chickens,
but it all comes down to personally preference,
I do have to say I really like Kent and Pen Pal, but there not that convenient to get

If you can get your hands on some Blue Seal-that stuff rocks! Layena is a much better food than the Dumor in my opinion though, I like the Blue Seal best.

Back
Top Bottom