Dumped ducks in Central Kentucky

Peas4Ducks

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
My partner and I just discovered three abandoned ducks in one of our city parks—two Pekins and what appears to be a Blue Swedish duck. One of the Pekins has a very bad limp and a swollen leg. All three sound like females.

Unfortunately, our backyard is at capacity. I already posted in the Kentucky thread, but I will try here too—if anyone lives within two hours of Lexington and is able to take them in, I’d be happy to drop them off. I would also be more than willing to take the injured duck for an initial vet visit first.

I saw @SolarDuck’s recent post, so I plan to contact the Humane Society tomorrow morning, as well. I am concerned for the injured duck, though.

CE555A5C-FF54-437C-92F3-50C9BC48730F.jpeg

I’m hopeful for the Humane Society option! All three of these seem like very sweet and, other than the injured leg, healthy ducks.

Bless your heart, I sure hope you can find a home for them.
Any chance you taking them till HS or someone says they will take them? just for their protection?
Yes, I’m definitely considering that, though I’m not able to do anything further tonight. I’m really hoping the HS will say they’ll be able to take them, and then we can catch them and drop them off tomorrow. But if not, I’ll talk to my roommates and maybe plan for a temporary home in the bathroom.

Your animal control may know someone as well. Sometimes the local animal control work with rescue organizations. I know my mother-in-law would get calls about rats once they realized she would take in pet rats. I know one of the local ones near me had a turkey vulture till they could send it off to another organization to care for it.

That is awesome and they are so pretty.
I hope they can help her leg issue? what do you think is the problem?
Maybe advanced bumblefoot? Her right leg and foot both have areas that are very swollen, and she’s not able to put much weight on that side. She falls over easily. I didn’t inspect her leg closely—I’ve been trying to handle them as little as possible since I’m sure this is already incredibly stressful for them.

The vet confirmed that it's bumblefoot and prescribed an oral antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory. Tomorrow we're going to take the two healthy ducks to the farm, which has a big pond and other ducks, so hopefully they'll adjust quickly. I'll keep the one with bumblefoot and treat her here. I hate to split them up, but we can't keep all three any longer. I think we can keep her in a small pen out in the backyard, so she'll have our ducks for company.

I'm a little nervous about treating bumblefoot this severe. The vet wasn't super hopeful about her prognosis. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom