Dumped peahen

IttyBittyBirdy

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Michigan
I know I shouldn't keep her with the chickens- atleast not at first, but could I keep her in the barn until I can tell that she's disease free? Peacocks weren't necessarily in the plan yet, but someone else decided Mrs Peahen needed a new home.

If I can keep her in the barn, how would I get her to roost there at night? Turn on the lights? Will she stay in the yard or wander off?

If you are new to keeping peafowl, I suggest doing as much research as possible about their care. You can use the search tool on this website for specific questions.

They need clean water and access to food of course, and they do not appreciate being handled or chased more than necessary. The barn would only work if it is completely secure or she will likely escape or end up staying in the rafters. As she is new to your property, she should be penned up right away or she will most definitely wander off. She needs protection from predators including any dogs you may have because even a good farm dog can be tempted by a strange, noisy, and fearful/skittish bird. Even if the dog is friendly, most peafowl will run away if it is around, so it's best to keep them away from each other. I noticed that my peas often cannot get to a roost once it's dark and some can't even find their way inside the coop because the sun goes down so fast in MN. Having lights on during roosting time will help them get where they need to be. The barn sounds like a good place during the time you are quarantining her because they usually prefer to be inside once there is snow on the ground.

Did the person who you are getting her from clip her wings at all? Also, beware of wild birds that may live in the barn because their droppings can spread some diseases.

I know I shouldn't keep her with the chickens- atleast not at first, but could I keep her in the barn until I can tell that she's disease free? Peacocks weren't necessarily in the plan yet, but someone else decided Mrs Peahen needed a new home.

If I can keep her in the barn, how would I get her to roost there at night? Turn on the lights? Will she stay in the yard or wander off?
If she's been spaded she shouldn't wander off looking for a mate. It was a lucky find for you, over here in Australia the only hens ok me can find are the hit and run cases on the Calder Freeway and with cars travelling at 110km up , it's risky Business to help a hen out

If you are new to keeping peafowl, I suggest doing as much research as possible about their care. You can use the search tool on this website for specific questions.

They need clean water and access to food of course, and they do not appreciate being handled or chased more than necessary. The barn would only work if it is completely secure or she will likely escape or end up staying in the rafters. As she is new to your property, she should be penned up right away or she will most definitely wander off. She needs protection from predators including any dogs you may have because even a good farm dog can be tempted by a strange, noisy, and fearful/skittish bird. Even if the dog is friendly, most peafowl will run away if it is around, so it's best to keep them away from each other. I noticed that my peas often cannot get to a roost once it's dark and some can't even find their way inside the coop because the sun goes down so fast in MN. Having lights on during roosting time will help them get where they need to be. The barn sounds like a good place during the time you are quarantining her because they usually prefer to be inside once there is snow on the ground.

Did the person who you are getting her from clip her wings at all? Also, beware of wild birds that may live in the barn because their droppings can spread some diseases.

What about treating for any potential diseases? Ivermectin in the water? I don't want to stress her out.

Barn is safe, completely closed up and the rafters have been closed off for more insulation. How long should I keep her in there before moving her over to my chook pen?

Wings aren't clipped, again, she was a drop off.

You might consider that she was not dumped but has wandered off from her home and got lost. I would first try to find the rightful owner who may be hurting from losing their pet.
She's definitely a dump. The place she was left at was my work place which is within the city limits- meaning no peacocks or chickens.

Back
Top Bottom