Dunking Broodies in Cold Water?

Update: As of yesterday, the one hen was still determined to get on the nest. I let her out of the cage and she immediately went for the nest box so I put her out of the coop with the rest of the flock to forage and she hung by the door most of the day wanting to get in. When I finally opened it she ran right back in and found the one nest with an egg in it and nestled right on it so back in the cage she went for the rest of the day and night.

Today, the weather is sunny so if she's still broody, I'll try dunking her belly in cold water and let her run around the yard.

I'm still really concerned for her due to how skinny she is. The other day I gave her tuna, some scratch and meal worms and she did eat everything on the plate when I checked on her so that was good. Yesterday the only thing I saw her eat was some grass. I keep fresh water and feed in the cage when she's in there.

This is my first experience with a hen this broody and thought she would have snapped out of it by now. It's become a battle of wills between us and I'm as determined as she is to win!

The good news is the rest of the flock have stopped picking on her relentlessly when she's out foraging with them. I think keeping her in the cage inside the coop has helped rather than her isolating herself in the nest box.

Today or tomorrow I'm thoroughly cleaning out the coop so maybe all the activity in the run and coop will shake her up along with a dunking in cold water. We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom