Duramyacin or Tylan 50? Input much appreciated!

Why would you inject tylan 50 into a chicken? Your crazy if you do. Tylan 50 is for cattle.

Oxytet 343 as I stated above for what you might think is a common cold.

Vaccines? The best vaccine for any bird is good genetics / strong bloodlines, clean and dry coops with good ventilation.

I drive quite a bit, I see many coops with a 5x5 run out area, where there are twenty chickens in the pen. That doesn't work either. Free Range, if you have limited space, move the coop to drier ground..

Like I said, its a waste of time. Injecting a chicken is a last resort and the only medication i would inject is Penicillin in a severe case of infection due to a cut, puncture wound or a bird that was attacked or a bird you cannot afford to lose..

Let chickens be chickens. Good strong Genetics and bloodlines goes a long way into growing a strong immune system.

Injecting a chicken is not the answer..

Welcome to BYC!

One teaspoon is about 3 grams and has 2280 mg, so the dose when using 343 is actually closer to 1/3 teaspoon (0.35 tsp). As always, please check my math.
big_smile.png

Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~1/3 slightly rounded teaspoon

-Kathy

Good Info. Oxy cures quite a bit. Ive always had good luck with 1 heaping tspn per gallon...

Oxytetracycline

Package weighs 181.5 grams and has 10 grams oxytetracycline.
10 ÷ 181.5 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% oxytetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One teaspoon weighs about 3 grams which = 165mg x 5 teaspoons = 825 mg
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 5 teaspoons (825mg is close enough)

Oxytetracycline

This package weighs 280 grams
Package contains 102.4 grams oxytetracycline

102.4 / 280 = 0.37 , which means that it's 37% oxytetracycline and 63% filler
370 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 370mg = 1110 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~3/4 teaspoons

Tetracycline Powder 5.5% (55mg per gram)

Package weighs 181 grams and has 10 grams tetracycline.
10 ÷ 181 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% tetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One tablespoon weighs about 10 grams which = 550 mg
800 ÷ 550 = 1.45 tablespoons
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 1.5 tablespoons (825mg is close enough)

-Kathy

Thank you for the response! This has been going on for at least a week now, and it sounds like it's everyone. But the only symptoms I see (or hear, rather) is the congested sound when they breathe (like their nose is stuffed) and some seem to be breathing from their mouths. I don't see any discharge around their eyes or noses, and no swelling of any sort. So would you hold off on giving any antibiotics unless I see other symptoms? Maybe try the VetRx to ease the symptoms?

Looking at the link I am inclined to think it might be MG, though I really don't want to think this is true. Can chickens get regular colds that aren't indicative of anything permanent? I don't want to have to start my flock all over again, but at the same time I don't want them reproducing with this disease :(
@Leahmig44 , welcome to BYC! Chickens can have MG *and*/or something like E. coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, or even all three. Tylan will probably treat MG, but it won't treat the others. It would be best to have a vet do a culture and sensitivity test to find out what you're dealing with. Of course if it's a virus, antibiotics won't help.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I cannot afford to lose my peafowl, turkeys, duck or chickens when they get sick, so they get injected with whatever drug I think will work best.

-Kathy

I cannot speak about turkeys but I would not use tylan 50 injectible in chickens. Tylan 50 or 200 is used for pneumonia in most hoofed animals. If it works for you, I would use the powder..

At the end of the day, its only an opinion. For the casual backyard chicken keeper there are easier ways to treat a chicken than sticking a needle in it which most would not know how to do..

Quote: Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 are used mostly in *some* hoofed animals (toxic to horses), but it is also used in all types of birds. Powder is harder to use because sick birds don't usually drink enough, right?

As for the casual backyard chicken keeper, I don't think that there is an easy way to treat an aggressive respiratory infection, especially if there is more than one bacteria present.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom