Duramycin-10

TXSuperchicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
I was advised to buy some antibiotics for my chickens since I had one die from what I think to be pneumonia. I bought Duramycin-10 Tetracycline hydrochloride powder for their water.
I was reading the back and it says "Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption."
Does anyone have a substitute? Not only does my family eat their eggs but I sell them to co-workers.

Chickens don't really get pneumonia. If you can describe what the symptoms were, we may be able to figure out what actually happened, and the best course of treatment. Duramycin may be completely ineffective for what you are dealing with, and you would not want to eat the eggs. Do you have any other chickens showing symptoms of a "cold", or other signs of illness?

None of my other chickens are showing any of Katie's symptoms (i.e. liquid coming from beak at steady pace, very very lethargic, depressed, diahrrea) She showed the symptoms late morning and by 3:30 that afternoon she was dead. I had separated her from the rest of the flock early morning. Right before she died she was visably shaking as if she was freezing.

Thank you for the info on the antibiotic. I'll return it tomorrow. Any other suggestions or should I even worry about it now? Katie has been dead a week.

Sounds as if she may have had an impacted or sour crop. That is the only thing that I could think of that would cause her to have liquid dripping from her beak "at a steady pace". The other symptoms would be consistent with that. The only good news from that is that it is not a contagious condition, and the other symptoms do not suggest a contagious condition. So I would just keep an eye on your flock very carefully, and make sure everything (water, feeders, coop) is as clean as possible. A respiratory illness will usually manifest with sneezing, gasping, eye or nostril discharge, swollen head or wattles, so that is what you would want to look for.

Back
Top Bottom