Dosage for chickens with vetafarm triple c

Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
Ive been perscribed antibiotics from a vet for a sick quail. Its fixed my bird right up but it cost me a bloody fortune and i was even angrier when i found out it was stuff i can buy from the pet shop (Vetafarm triple c)
Ingredients: Chlortetracycline Hydrochloride 100mg/g

Recently one of my turkeys has come down with the same symptoms and wanted to get her on it to see if she improves. I have been looking everywhere on the internet for some dose rates to use on my larger birds but i simply cant find anything.

Does anyone have some more knowledge on this?

That is chlortetracycline one of several older drugs used to treats MG/CRD. It is probably not the best one since it is used in food. Are you in Australia? ? When you get a chronic respiratory disease, it can stay in the flock making carriers of all birds. It can come back in the birds during times of stress, such as molting, cold weather, etc. Some handle the disease by culling sick birds, or treating birds with symptoms, but all people should close their flocks. Dealing with a disease is expensive, and you may always need to get antibiotics from a vet.

Tiamulin, oxytetracycline, and Tylosin are common antibiotics used to treat symptoms, but no drug will keep the chicken from possibly spreading the disease for life.

If you use the Vetafarm Triple C, since it is for pet birds, you would need to use the same amount on the label which I believe is 5-10 grams per kilogram of weight. It is mixed in the food, so you would need to moisten your feed to get it to stick. Your best bet is to have your vet test, and find out what you are dealing with. A virus would not respond to antibiotics. MG may respond. Tiamulin or Tylosin may be better, and you would need to get them through your vet.

Back
Top Bottom