Duramycin for cats?

Are you talking about the water soluable antibiotic for livestock.. Tetracycline, Duran 10.... it has several names but is 1 tsp per gallon of water?

I'm sorry... if this is the antibiotic you are referring to, how would you dose a cat?

May I ask why you want to give an antibiotic to the cat?

Yes, that is the medication I was referring to. One of my outdoor kittens-----around 12-14 weeks old (maybe that old, but not sure as they were dumped by someone)----is not acting like himself. This just started this evening or afternoon. When we went out to do chores, he was sitting in the goat barn----he's usually out running around and foloows us as we do chores. He didn't even get up when we went in, and when the goats came in for their feed, one even stepped on him and he basically just just laid there after a slight struggle. I don't think the goat hurt him at all, but he definately doesn't feel good and I'm thinking infection as he's been vaccinated. I thought I could give him something to make him feel better until I can get him to the vet on Monday-----why do they always get sick on a Saturday after the vet is closed?

Anyway, the only things I have are the water soluble Duramycin-10 and some injectable penicillin (which is for livestock also, and I don't think penicillin is good for cats----affects their kidneys or liver, I think.

Oh, I would dose the cat by mixing the powder as for a chicken, I guess and I have syringes I could just give him a dose with----that's why I asked if anyone would know the dosage for a cat.

I forgot to say that the kitten also has very slight diarrhea-----but that could be because he ate some canned cat food I had in the goat barn for my adult barn-cat (the kittens get dry food).

Last edited:
Kittens cant have tetracycline orally. Plus it basically no longer works on anything for them (overused).

Its almost certainly viral and antibiotics would do more harm them good unless you can get the kind specific to kitten secondary infections like clavamox. Unless he has an abscess, then you are better off looking into penicillin.

Last edited:
Thank you---there was a thing on petmed.com or something and someone gave the dosage for injectable penicillin for cats. Not sure I'll even do that at this point. I brought Rocky---the kitten inside along with his sister (Nova). I had to bring her in too as they are the only 2 I have besides my adult neuteed male, and he has a separate sleeping area and doesn't care for the kittens anyway. I have them in a closed-off room so my indoor cats don't come in contact with them----in case it could possibly be something contagious. I'll keep an eye on him the rest of the wekend and call the vet on Mon. morning. Rocky also seems a little thin compared to Nova, and seems a little dehydrated. Here's another question for you----would it be o.k. to mix some Revitalyte Plus in the water----it's an electrolyte, but for goats. I couldn't find anything about that either.

Personally, I would not give them anything until he has seen the vet. It would probably be much more harmful than helpful, antibiotics aren't the cure for everything.

Very true. I did have some plain chicken breast and some plain cooked white rice leftover from a couple of our dinners this week and heated a bit up----he didn't seem too interested, but his sister sure gobbled it up. I'm actually thnking he may have eaten something that made him sick since his sister is fine. Maybe he'll fel better by the morning.

Well, during the night, the kittens ate all the chicken and rice (and it was quite a bit). Rocky seems like he feels better, and I fed them some more chicken and rice and they both ate. I put them back outside and went out a little later and they were both out walking around. I guess he just had an upset tummy or something----but I will keep watching him today. They're both such nice cats, I almost feel like finding them a home where they can be indoors----but we'll see.

Give a teaspoon in a large bowl of drinking water. I take about half of a pill bottle in mix a little over a teaspoon and then shoot 10 mg into their mouth with a syringe. Tiny kittens use about half . duramycin 10 is the only brand I will use because it cut with sugar and other brands I have a had fatalities with. This stuff will cure conjunctivitis in the cats eyes as will triple antibiotic ointment. This stuff also works really great for respiratory infections. Tetracycline is meant to be taken about once every 12 hours this brand I've taken myself and it works fantastic things you can buy it at farm stores for as little as $5.75 a bag people at the farm store I've talked to have used it for themselves too. Don't ever give a cat Tylenol it will kill it. Kind of makes you wonder what it does to us.

Last edited:
I have not read any peer reviewed source that indicates tetracycline is safe to give orally to cats. A buffered form may be given by vets IM or IV and can be useful for certain infections.

Tetracycline given the proper route can cause some very serious issues, so it is always used with caution. Cats are very sensitive to a wide variety of drugs, so I would not risk giving them any drugs without veterinary guidance.

I know this is an old post and the problem has likely resolved by this time, but if others are looking at this thread thinking they can give duramycin, I hope they think twice and decide not to. If a cat is sick, it needs to be evaluated by a vet. If there are monetary concerns, the vet should be able to help you choose an affordable method of care that is best for you and the cat.

Also, note: tetracycline can be toxic to pregnant women, as well as a range of other people. There is a reason antibiotics are controlled by doctors and prescriptions, and it is a very good reason. Tetracyclines can cause kidney and liver damage, and calcium issues (in bones and teeth). Please, please see a doctor if you are sick to get appropriate antibiotics.

One last note: cats cannot have many NSAIDs, including Tylenol and Advil because they are not able to metabolize the drug. Humans are able to, but that does not mean their use is benign. Overuse of NSAIDs can have detrimental effects on the kidneys and gut.

A good source for reading more about tetracyclines:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/pharmacology/antibacterial_agents/tetracyclines.html

Back
Top Bottom