Duramycin HELP!!

thanks for the tip, it would work some apple juice? Says has concentrade vitamin C, or just a bit of sugar? Since theyre still baby chicks dont think sugar would hurt them or maybe the sugar changes the medication as how it should work?
Good. What some folks do is add ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to help with the absorption of tetracyclines, doxycyclines, etc. I just used cranberry juice for its high c content, and I think it takes the bitterness away so they are more willing to drink it. I used a 1/2 cup in a gallon of water.

thanks for the tip, it would work some apple juice? Says has concentrade vitamin C, or just a bit of sugar? Since theyre still baby chicks dont think sugar would hurt them or maybe the sugar changes the medication as how it should work?
Just stay away from corn syrup and choose a low sugar content. It isn't necessary to add cranberry juice, it is just helpful. I used Ocean Spray brand when I did it in the past. I've never used apple juice, so I can't recommend it. Stay away from citrus juices when it comes to chickens.

cool, thanks for all your help
Just stay away from corn syrup and choose a low sugar content. It isn't  necessary to add cranberry juice, it is just helpful. I used Ocean Spray brand when I did it in the past. I've never used apple juice, so I can't recommend it. Stay away from citrus juices when it comes to chickens.

I started with the same thing today with my one silkie who is about 8 weeks old, same as you the store I went to only had duramycin and I too got the packets of sav-a-chick priobotics and electrolits. The only problem is that none of mine drank any because of it being so late and dark. I gave the duramycin to the sick one and also started to medicate the others. I will you the best with yours, I know how you feel right know.

I also want to thank the person that was helping you, cause with that persons post they helped me out greatly

I know this. Most feed stores are greatly lacking in poultry nutritional supplements and medicines. Some medicines are safer and more effective than others. Many have a shelf life of a couple years and are good to keep on hand. Many can be found online, and here are a few sources:

Hake's: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/

Randall Burkey: http://www.randallburkey.com/?utm_c...osoft&utm_source=trada&utm_content=1533193751

Smith: http://www.poultrysupplies.com/

Cutler: http://www.cutlersupply.com/

And last, but not least, Jedd's: http://www.jedds.com/StoreFront.bok

Last edited:
A little uptade about the chicks sneezing, duramycin looks like is working, the chicks had been in medication since the past sunday and it looks like prety much all the chicks had stop snizzing but not the older one whick is like a week older than the rest ofmthe chicks she was with very frequently small snizzes now start snizzing a bit stronger but very rare, not so often, im not sure if this is good or shes getting worst, probably i have to quarantine her and add a bit more medication to the water, probably the dosage that im using is not enough for her since she bigger than the rest of thenchicks

A little uptade about the chicks sneezing, duramycin looks like is working, the chicks had been in medication since the past sunday and it looks like prety much all the chicks had stop snizzing but not the older one whick is like a week older than the rest ofmthe chicks she was with very frequently small snizzes now start snizzing a bit stronger but very rare, not so often, im not sure if this is good or shes getting worst, probably i have to quarantine her and add a bit more medication to the water, probably the dosage that im using is not enough for her since she bigger than the rest of thenchicks

I'm glad to hear there's improvement. Now most tetracycline type powders recommend 7-14 day treatments. You are only on day 4. At the 7th day of treatment, post what you observe in the chicks' behavior. Are you using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water/ 1/4 teaspoon per quart?

Last edited:
yes im using 1tsp X gallon, im making new mixture everyday, now im not sure if theres a big difference between teaspoon and tablespoon since i only have measuring teaspoons, yeah! Im using 1 teaspoon per gallon, i hope by sunday theyre completly fine since i is gonna be day 7 and i need to move at least the biggest chick out of the puppy crate with the rest of the chicks outside since shes getting so big for the crate :)
I'm glad to hear there's improvement. Now most tetracycline type powders recommend 7-14 day treatments. You are only on day 4. At the 7th day of treatment, post what you observe in the chicks' behavior. Are you using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water/ 1/4 teaspoon per quart?

yes im using 1tsp X gallon, im making new mixture everyday, now im not sure if theres a big difference between teaspoon and tablespoon since i only have measuring teaspoons, yeah! Im using 1 teaspoon per gallon, i hope by sunday theyre completly fine since i is gonna be day 7 and i need to move at least the biggest chick out of the puppy crate with the rest of the chicks outside since shes getting so big for the crate :)

Well, not that you need to, but I've doubled up on tetracyclines before without any side effects. Keep treating with a fresh solution every day for 3 more days total and tell us how they are. You can continue doing it with the 4-5 week old chick(s) even if you separate them. You have a secure pen and coop with good ventilation to keep them in?

Back
Top Bottom