Duramycin : Why can't eggs be eaten for 21 days?

That's the withdrawal period for the antibiotic. That is how long it takes to be removed from the chicken's system and be "safe" for human consumption.

You can hatch them but not eat them. You *could* eat them, but be aware you could be consuming antibiotic.

There is antibiotic residue in the eggs. The next time you get an infection, an antibiotic may not work because bacteria have built up immunity due to previous small doses of the duramycin. I'm sure you've heard about situations like this in the media.

Thank you Greenfamilyfarm. We have some people in house allergic to PCN so we did not take the chance in eating the eggs.

We have a family friend who eats them anyway so he has been taking them so not so many are wasted.

I do not like to waste such nice eggs after the girls work so hard to lay them.

The use of antibiotics effects the immune systems in humans. The more ones intake, the more likely your own body's immune system will be surpressed. Ingesting unknown amounts of antibiotics through such methods as tainted eggs, could cause adverse effects on your health.

Dawg53

Yes we have heard this and we probably jumped to soon to put them on meds. Next time I will not be so quick to do this.

They had been exposed to something from some hens we had in quarentine.

We thought we would lose them all. We did come by the list of natural remedies and have started putting ACV in their water and probiotics.

Thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom