Dust and dirt...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silvercat76, Feb 18, 2013.

1. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I have seen pictures of others inside of their coop on here and in person and I was wondering how the heck does everyone keep the inside so **** spotless? My coop is exactly an 8x8 room and it gets dusty and dirty. I mean I know chickens aren't the cleanest animals but still. In a time frame of the summer months it looks like a **** haunted house in there! I currently use pine shavings on the floor along with hay. How often is everyone cleaning their coops? How do you keep the dust down? What's the secret to a dust free coop?

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I only have bantams - so they don't make as much poop at bigger chickens. My coop floor is dry river sand.

Each day I go into the coop I quickly collect up feathers and scoop up any large piles of poop with a dog poop scooper.

I just do this little few moments clean up each day - and that way nothing builds up to be a big job.

My hens next boxes are always clean - they never poop in them. Most of the poop is under the roost - that's the part I scoop up and compost...then rake over more sand.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -don't have poop and dust that builds up due to daily cleaning. The coops are cleaned each morning, and the run is scooped and cleaned 3 to 4 times per day while the chickens are out on the lawn.

4. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Ok how do you keep your chickens from pooping in the nesting boxes? They don't actually lay in it and poop but I think they kind of perch/roost on the edge and might have their backside facing in and poop. I still consider myself new even though this is my fourth year doing chickens.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are you talking about the cobwebs?

I use a broom and take them down.. Or did...

Dusting is more important than you think. Make sure there is no dust on any lights.

As for the ground.. People probably just take pictures after they change the litter. That's what I would do. :p

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I clean daily lol I only have 4 so it takes minimal time to do so. I'm a duster by nature, i do it in the horse barn, the chicken coop/duck barn.. brooms are handy for larger areas to clean cobwebs down... anything lower the chickens/ducks clean that up [​IMG]

My girls are young(8mths) but for the most part, don't dirty in the nest box i am not sure how one teaches this though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Make sure the roosts are higher than the nests, they like to roost as high as possible.
    Maybe have a bar 6-8" in front of the nests so they can land there instead of on the edge of the nest before going in to lay.

1 person likes this.
  8. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I have to admit that there are some pretty spotless coops around here! I good design will keep your poop piles mostly below the roosts. If they are pooping inside their nesting boxes then you may need to make some modifications to your roost bars or boxes. I often put on a dust mask when I spread DE in the coop or on the poop board. I have poop boards and roosts without poop boards. I scrap the poop boards daily and then shovel out the areas with no poop board each week or two. Alot of pine chips will keep things reasonable.

9. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Thank you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by