dust baithing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hwlchickmama, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    my chicks are almost 2 weeks old and my Orps are dust baiting in the wood chips all the other chicks (a Plymouth, gold lace wydote and an EE) stand over them watch them and then peck the wood off... is this normal?? shouldn't they all be bathing?!?!? and should i be giving them something to actually dust in?!?!?! and are they eating the wood b/c they are only on chick feed? im not giving them grit... should i?!?!?! ive read so much on raising chicks and they only tell of behaviors not what to do w/ it!!!!! HELP!!!!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Not all chicks will start at the same time. I gave mine sandboxes. These are old pictures but the idea is there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] Yes, they love it and I love watching them. When they were in the brooder, I put a frisbee filled with coarse sand in there and they went wild. Now they are outside, they have areas where they almost bury themselves in the dirt. It is an important part of their grooming process, and your observers will definitely be joining in on the fun!

4. My current flock refuse the sand that I purchased with a 3 x 3 mixing container. I even sunk it in the ground to make it even with the earth. But oh NO! The girls prefer to use the usual bowls they make in the dirt/dust. At least my Quail like the sand in their enclosure.

5. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    My little chicks tried to dust bath with the newspaper I lined the hutch they were in. Same thing some were in chick heaven when they first touched dirt others didn't catch on right away.

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My girls were having a field day this evening taking their Dust Bath. It was so much fun to watch, dirt flying everywhere, them rolling on their sides, legs stretched out, then the other coming over & picking out what they found on their sisters. Even the little ones were getting into the act, but they keep to themselves, away from the bigger girls. Some were even dozing off while they lay in their little holes of dirt.lol I do notice they get more into it if I have misted the ground a few minutes before. It has been so hot here lately, I try to mist the ground a few times during the day. After I move to a different area, they go to where I have just wet the ground, then I can mist the area that they were at. It is a little game we play, sometimes I will ask them nicely to move, so i can wet the area they are at. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.[​IMG]

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Not all chicks will do it at the same rate. You only need to give them grit if you are feeding them other food besides their chick feed.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I made a wooden box about 6" deep and 2' square, and I fill it with dirt containing sand and grit. They love to
    dirt bath in it, and I change out the dirt weekly. You can add some DE to it for mite control, but Sevrin dust will
    work too. This is in their coop. When in the run, they scratch away the pine shavings and make a plate sized
    bowl to bath in. Dirt flys everywhere. Great fun to watch.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Only one of my 5 wk old chicks is interested in dust bathing. The others just watch her and when she's covered in pine shavings they pick them off her.

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Mine do it inside the coop in the shavings, they are not free ranging yet, but when they do, this week most likely,
    they will have 300 acres to play in if they so choose...dirt, hay, what ever...its great fun to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by