Dust bath in the brooder

K Dahlia

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
My chickes are two weeks old and some of them trying to take a dust bath in the shaving i use on the bottom. I thought it would be good to put a small container with sand in there for them. I bought the construction sand that is course. It was in a plastic bag and it is a little damp. Can I use it like this or I have to dry it out. If yes, how can I dry it fast?

You can give them a clump of sod from an untreated lawn. Place it upside down in their brooder. they will derive much benefit from it: grit, minerals, greens, insects, seeds, perhaps a worm, beneficial bacteria and fungi for gut flora and immunity boosting, dust bath, play value.

Dry it out. Spread it out in a thin layer and wait for it to dry.
Thank you. I will dry it. Do u think i could put it in the oven on a baking sheet on low setting? Just to speed up the process. It takes forever and a day to dry sand lol

You can give them a clump of sod from an untreated lawn. Place it upside down in their brooder. they will derive much benefit from it: grit, minerals, greens, insects, seeds, perhaps a worm, beneficial bacteria and fungi for gut flora and immunity boosting, dust bath, play value.

Unfortunately we just got a foot of snow so that is not an option for a while. When i will be able to get a chunk does it matter that it will be wet? We are getting so much rain and snow this year that I'm afraid my lawn will not dry out till june.

Back
Top Bottom